register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #61
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Go get em! Well done.
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:46 AM   #62
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

Congrats on everything you have accomplished.......sounds like you have really been putting in the hard work to get ahead. All the victories and the defeats are just life. One of the things life has taught me is to be THANKFUL for calm, stress-free days because no matter what you do - there is always a sh*t storm coming your way sooner or later so might as well enjoy the days before it hits. LOL, I used to call those days boring. LOL Funny how our view on life changes throughout our lives.

Since I am so late to the thread I will just throw in something concerning your LEO career choice (Yes I read you are going in the service but I thought I would pass this along). I had to move back to a small town in Texas (Brownwood) to take care of my mother (Alziehmers) and situations forced me to get a job working nights. Well, I was ROUTINELY pulled over for driving around at 3 am and I ended up getting to know quite a few of the policemen/women. Funny thing was that just about the time I got to know them and they knew my Bronco/FZ1 - THEY WERE GONE and replaced by a new officer. One of the policewomen of the more beautiful rank explained to me that LOTs of the police officers were coming in from larger cities because it was so difficult to get a job in the large cities without experience. Once these officers who moved in got a year or two on the books - THEY WERE GONE! LOL Don't really blame them but I wanted to pass that on in case you ever have any desire to jump back into a career as a LEO.

Good luck.

thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #63
WDD

So, still headed to Air Force, or did you move over to Army or Navy?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #64
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
So, still headed to Air Force, or did you move over to Army or Navy?
Haven't even had time to go talk to other branches with my new oilfield job. I'll be updating this next weekend likely, had a very significant incident occur that will likely derail everything. Have my "commander call" next Friday.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #65
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
..... had a very significant incident occur that will likely derail everything. Have my "commander call" next Friday.
Hope it all works out - update when you get a chance.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #66
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Well I hate to share this,I feel like a burden, but some of you have a very vested interest in me, and many have helped take care of me, and since I decided to be honest and share it with Sgt, I can online now

Good news first. My job position requires me to obtain my CDL with tanker and hazmat endorsement. Halliburton paid for my CDL school, paid hotel, wage and per diem while there. Was 4 weeks long and I passed with flying color and already took my hazmat test and passed background. I am now a CDL holder and can always find a job as long as I keep it valid. I have to stay with Halliburton until April or I owe them the $3200 for the school.

Time for the bad: I will try to keep it as linear, but its gonna be alot of random info coming in as I try to bring you along the experience, as I was experiencing it.

I started orientation on April 16th. On the way back to Halliburton for week 2 of orientation, I got this intense headach and RIGHT temple pain while driving. Whatever, suck it up , a few ibuprofen, good to go. It hurts a little less the next day and then its about a 2 out of 10. But if I touched it, it would become a 5-6. I noticed on my orbit, near the crease of the eye, it felt like a bone spur. I grind my teeth severely, but i always wear a mouthpiece to bed. I thought perhaps my grinding had caused fatigue or cramps since the jaw muscles end up connecting past the temple and then back from the head. Massaging it and pressure points didnt help. That last a week and then it wasnt nearly as sore, about a 3-4 when pressed on , a 2 otherwise.
ALSO NOTE THAT I HAD NO HEAD TRAUMA OF ANY SORT in the last month prior to this.

Since I thought it was grinding related, I went to my dentist around 5/11 to see what she thought and if she needed to ground down any high points on my crowns. Xrays showed nothing strange, and she said I need to go to an ENT. Well whatever, I had things to do, plus again, I work 14 days at a time in OK, right? I notice that the previosly small bump in my orbit has started to grow larger, and it was definitely the bone of the orbit, but still I think it's nothing.

Anyways, do my next half hitch before they send me to Mineral Wells, TX (30 miles west of Ft Worth) on Sunday. I wake up Monday morning , May 21st, and my eye socket is bruised, and then I start to worry, I know this isn't just going to go away.

Now we can accelerate the story: See the ENT on May 23rd, endoscopy is negative for infection or periorbital cellulitis, calls his preferred Opthamology place and forces an appointment for me the next day. Tells me if my vision becomes blurred or double to go to the ER immediately. See the Opthamolgist on the 24th, check my vision (fine) and my pressure on my eye (normal but high) and tells me there is definitely an unknown mass behind my orbit.

Get a CT done of my brain and orbital region May 25, definitely something there, although its not near my optic nerve. Also the mass seemed to be cavitating into the bone and destroying some of my cheek bone.
Also, between Monday and Friday I could feel this thing getting bigger.

See the opthamologic surgeon (who also is a plastic surgeon) on Wednesday, May 30th. Tells me its definitely a mass and needs to be taken out ASAP. Also I have blood on my eye as well, seeping from the mass, its not much though. Medical term is a right orbitotomy with lesion removal. Incision will begin mid eyelid, across the temple about halfway, saw the section of orbit out, remove it, and wire the orbit back in.

Surgery a week and day later, June 7th. It has gotten even larger and the bleeding is much more pronounced in my eye. Surgery lasted a full 3 hours, goes perfect, I come out of anesthesia quickly, and had my wits about me pretty well. Surgeon felt good about getting it all, but mentioned that the mass had DESTROYED my orbit, she never had to even saw it. It just ate and absorbed it. She said sometimes they dont rewire in the section of orbit anyways so no harm. (so currently there is about 1/4 inch of the corner of my orbit missing, jagged bone edges and all. I feel like it is trying to regrow itself as its less gap then before). Also it had started to attach itself to part of my eye muscle and she had to cut it off that. (which caused my eye to get sore and tired after use, post surgery)

Slight issue with the swelling causing intense pain in the eye but only when the surgery eye tried to open because I was opening my left (good) eye. My aunt who lives closeby (only family in TX) took me home, with just Tramadol ( not even the good stuff ) for the pain. First night was rough, stopped fighting trying to be awake because my eye was excruciating even with the pain pills. Woke up every few hours to add more ice to the pack and to put on my surgery site to keep swelling down. Woke up next morning, pain was gone, swelling was still crazy, iced it as often as possible all weekend, and by day 3, the surgery eye was open and vision good. Went back to CDL school on Monday (day 4 after surgery) and tested and drove that week to get my CDL no problem. Work knew about the 2 days I missed for surgery but HR didnt get involved or I would still be medically held out of work right now.

Kept my medicated ointment and triple antibiotic ointment on it nonstop except when sleeping for 2 weeks before my check up to help it heal and keep the scar healing, tons of fruit, green tea, blueberries, everything I could think of with antioxidants)

Didn't get biopsy results back until my 2 week check up on June 20th. It was a granuloma like they guessed and expected. But it came back as positive for Langerhans Cell Hystiocytosis aka LCH. She was very quick to say that her research says that only half the medical journals say LCH is cancer and the other half believe it is an inflammatory disease. All my google searches say cancer.
LCH only affects 1 in 560,000 adults. https://www.histio.org/page.aspx?pid=383#.WzbSDlVKjIU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langer..._histiocytosis
Ironically, the periorbital mass shown for LCH is very similar to the CT image of my mass.

Surgeon didn't seem too worried, but definitely wanted me to get an oncologist consultation as soon as I could, but she also listed the mass as benign in her surgery notes.
I have an oncologist appointment this Monday, July 2nd. Per my surgeon, A PET scan should be done to determine if any of the mass was left in the area, or if it has spread. If its still in the orbit area, just local radiation, if its spread, chemo possibly. High dose steroids are likely regardless of either.

Even with my insurance covering most of all this, I'm still gonna max out my "out of pocket" amount of about $4100 when my anesthesia bill comes in, plus all these oncology bills.

Number 1 of the 3 core values of the USAF is "Integrity First". I've been waiting a year to leave for OTS (started the process 2 years ago), had my pilot spot ripped from me, as well as my April 9th OTS date (which, if you recall, my symptoms started April 22nd ish), and even though I am likely to be medically DQ'ed (if not for the surgery, the LCH biopsy is surely a knife in my coffin), that is one of those things where I can't not tell SGT, especially with the scar not being gone completely ( you know how it is when you first sign up, dont ask dont tell about certain medical things). Sgt seemed taken aback, told me to get the "all clear" from all my docters, and then we will meet and talk in person. I fear even with an all clear, no signs of lesions or tumors from the LCH in my body, I will still get the axe.

My last 2 years have completely revolved around getting into OTS, didn't apply for police jobs, quit my LEO job to just bide my time with Halliburton, didn't buy a home, etc etc. My life isnt ruined I know, I have options and sucess in my future, blah blah blah. I just hope I don't get the Med DQ or I'll really have to start planning my life out again.

Oh and I lost my wallet today. http://yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145802
Last 35 days have been rough as hell, mentally especially. And yet I'm still blessed and lucky to be better than like 50% of the world's population.

There you have it. Pictures coming in the next posts
Old 06-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #67
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Pre surgery sexiness and then 2 pictures of the mass, 3 days before surgery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3449.jpg (96.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3440.jpg (97.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3441.jpg (95.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #68
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Eye bleed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3442.jpg (87.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3443.jpg (44.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3444.jpg (101.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #69
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Day after surgery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3445.jpg (95.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3446.jpg (104.7 KB, 113 views)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #70
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Today's view of the scar. She did a hell of a job on the stitching. Eyelid isn't noticeable at all when my eye is open and the scar isn't bad considering what was behind there (about 1/2 inch thick and about 1-1 1/4" diameter mass).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3447.jpg (91.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3448.jpg (87.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #71
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

And I will say the strangest part of all this, was that my pain (pre surgery) was never more than a 3-4 out of 10, except that sore temple in the very beginning. No vision issues, no bluriness, nothing.

3 weeks later, everything seems fine with recovery. My eye or orbit still hurts sometimes, the scar tissue on my eyelid sliding across my eye hurts sometimes or startles me. I try not to think about it being cancer, sometimes itll itch or I think i can feel something still there (doc said there were some harder portions of tissue closer to my eye that she didnt want to mess with and didnt think were part of the mass) and it just give me the jeebies. We will see Monday I guess.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #72
LiquidSilver
Bad Cattytude

Wow, good luck with this. The scar is cool as scars go. Don't worry about what wasn't meant to be, life is what happens while we are busy planning something completely different.
Thank you for your service in pumping and delivering energy from the ground.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #73
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Well fcvk me. Jake, you are one tough sob. Shit is challenging the hell out of ya. Hope the worst is over buddy.
Wishing nothing but the best for you.
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #74
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
Wow, good luck with this. The scar is cool as scars go. Don't worry about what wasn't meant to be, life is what happens while we are busy planning something completely different.
Thats what they say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
Well fcvk me. Jake, you are one tough sob. Shit is challenging the hell out of ya. Hope the worst is over buddy.
Wishing nothing but the best for you.
Thanks. Hope to see ya around sometime soon, we had fun in AR 2 years ago. If I can ever find the time in the schedule to go to a dang meet up
Old 06-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #75
Fitty
Let's Ride!

Hang in there Jake. I know it's a cliche, but "one day at a time". It's what we all do.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #76
Cruzman
ATGATT It's the only way 2 fly

Hey fella, you know we are all rooting for you. Keep us in the loop when appropriate and you know we are here if you need us.

2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, 07 R1 Fork Swap with BrianG stem and AK20s, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
DanMoto Rearsets, Akrapovic slip-on [/color]
2014 BMW S1000R "Trixie"
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #77
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

When it rains, it really pours. Here's to continued quick recovery and none of that long term stuff. You're young and healthy so I'm sure the bod is repairing itself at an accelerated pace. The track you're on is a good one for a smart boy like you too so don't let life get you down. Keep on keepin' on.

Like David said, if you need something, or just need a break, we're here.

Oh yeah, post #69 second image, threw me for loop initially.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:54 PM   #78
WDD

Thanks for posting up - lots of guys were wondering.

Can't tell you how many times my plans didn't work out - God always has something better for me.

Last edited by WDD; 06-30-2018 at 05:19 AM.
WDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #79
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Yikes. Glad that the recovery is going well. What Fitty said.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 PM   #80
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Hang in there. We're all rooting for you. Things will be better soon.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion