register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 04-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Cordless electric string trimmers...

I'm looking to get a cordless electric string trimmer for doing yard work around the house. I'm tired of messing around with gas trimmers. I'm handy enough with small engines, but do not want to spend any more time fixing or maintaining them. Average time for me to do the trimming is between 30 and 45 minutes, so from what I've read, this is the perfect territory for a cordless trimmer.

I'm looking for feedback from people who own one. Let me know what brand, what volt, pros, cons, etc.

Tanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
boyitgobob

I bought this Ryobi from Home Depot for my wife when I was laid up:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...-206451828-_-N
and it works fairly well for light to medium trimming, almost as powerful as a gas trimmer. Reasonable runtime. The reason I bought it was A) Brushless motor, B) battery swappable with Ryobi blower that I bought at the same time, so I got two 18v 4ah batteries/chargers.
Verdict - trimmer okay. Blower sucks(but doesn't vacuum), not brushless, barely enough power to do the job. Bought the pair because any bigger battery increased carry weight for wife. Be certain any trimmer you get has a brushless motor, or it's just a toy.
GLWP
boyitgobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:56 AM   #3
boyitgobob

Oops, this is the trimmer I bought:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ON...2090/300339420
boyitgobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Look for high voltage battery systems such as 40, 56, 60, or higher. I bought a 56 volt EGO 21" push mower for a facility in Florida. Ran about 45 min on a charge and cut very well. Also look for brushless motors in the equipment.

A couple months ago I needed a strong, long lasting blower so tried the EGO backpack version that used the same 56 volt battery. Decent power but only ran 20 minutes. Took it back and traded up for the largest Stihl backpack blower. Not cheap but so very powerful and will run as long as there is dino juice.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 AM   #5
Wonger

If you have any cordless tools, you may want to look for the same brand. Cordless trimmers work pretty well, but forget about the blowers. Gas is the or maybe a plug in electric are the only way to go there.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:48 AM   #6
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!

I've had a Stihl gas trimmer for several years. Always starts right up, runs strong. I tried the cordless ones, but they just don't have the juice to cut through thick grass and do a good job (for my standards) on the edging. I'd say just buy a better gas one and you'll be happy.
val guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:51 AM   #7
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

We bought a Stihl FSA-65 last spring and haven't looked back. Forgot which battery they gave us, but it was the largest capacity one available as the one we were going to purchase was out of stock, so we got the big battery for the small battery price. I can weed-eat an acre with it (surrounded by chain-link fence) and only use about 25% of the charge. It is very robust, more so than the gas-powered Stihl that it replaces. My wife has arthritis and the gas-trimmer was hard for her to start. Stihl's are pretty expensive, but it's a buy once-cry once deal, lol.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #8
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

I have the Stihl trimmer as well as an Echo gas trimmer and the electric Stihl is surprisingly good. It is well made and powerful. It may not be the cheapest but I am very impressed with it.
For me the best thing about a good trimmer is the string mechanism. Few things are more frustrating than screwing around with nylon string that becomes tangled or jammed in the trimmer head.This even happens in my Echo sometimes and it is of their professional line but it has never happened with the Stihl. It is also very quiet and well balanced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trimmer.jpg (20.5 KB, 148 views)

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:21 AM   #9
reubswinks

I bought this one
https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-16...greenworks+pro
Although I got it when it was a better deal. Think around $150. Battery can be used in a number of different tools. Very happy with it.
reubswinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #10
MrVvrroomm
Wait for it

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-40...0220/204589659

I have been using this one going on 5 years. We have a smaller yard than we used to have. I run it about 15 minutes a week during mowing season, never misses a beat.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #11
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!

Also, you'll want to get rid of the wind up string type head. Get one where you can easily replace the string as it wears. I don't recall the name of the one I have, but I think it's called Pivot-Trim or something similar.
val guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:01 AM   #12
bmidd
StatorMan

I use an Ego trimmer and have the blower also. Good quality stuff, the 2.5ah battery gets all my trimming and blowing done on one charge. I'm buying the hedge trimmer next. Just buy the bare tools after you yet one battery and charger.y battery lost a cell and they sent me a replacement overnight. I called on Sunday morning and had a new battery Monday evening.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #13
LiquidSilver
Bad Cattytude

When I bought my Lowes 40V trimmer it was $150. The comparable Echo 58V was $230. I couldn't see much difference in functionality. I was very pleased with how well it worked, how long the battery ran, and how quick it recharged. When it was ran down, so was I. That 45 min break was nice.
My only complaint is the weight balance. With the motor down bottom, where it should be for simplicity, reduced friction and durability, the exact placement of the battery weight is critical. I have since picked up the Echo in the Home Despot and the balance feels better, almost enough to have justified the extra $80.
But I see now the Echo is only $199. With Echos good reputation it should be a no brainer, but the Ego 56V looks nearly identical to the Echo for the same price and uses the quick feed sticks. So you might want to try to compare based on consumer report type info an personal preference.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #14
Betweentheframe

Dewalt 60v trimmer and blower, the 40v are for pros, and 60v batteries can be used in all dewalt 20 v tools and vice versa, their 60v chainsaw is amazing as well
Betweentheframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #15
hooligan998

Thanks for the replies everyone. I pulled the trigger on these this evening. Lowes Kobalt 80-volt Max 16 inch string trimmer and matching 500 CFM blower. I spent quite a few hours researching and these are probably overkill for what I need, but should do the job just fine. I like the 30 min recharge time on the batteries. I tested each one out for a few minutes after getting the batteries charged. The trimmer is nicely balanced and works very well and the blower, well, blows very well.

I do have some Dewalt cordless tools, but they are older 20V and not compatible with anything I wanted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 841821016746.jpg (33.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 841821015251.jpg (41.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 05-01-2018, 06:17 AM   #16
reubswinks

Huh. Those are virtually identical to the greenworks pro stuff I bought on amazon. Gotta think they are made by the same company. Either way, love my blower and trimmer too. Think you will enjoy them. I contemplated buying another battery so I could have non-stop use, but I rarely kill the battery. Only time is in the fall with the blower, but I live in the woods so I do a lot of leaf blowing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenworks.jpg (31.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg greenworks1.jpg (50.8 KB, 110 views)
reubswinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #17
2wheelmax

Get the big 40W Ryobi model. Their matching leaf blower also works as a great substitute for a garage broom.
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #18
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

I have the Ryobi that converts from horizontal to vertical. Great for edging the lawn. Been reliable enough.

Those 80V ones look good. I have a 56V trimmer by Echo and it's just as powerful as the corded one previous was.

No more gas motors here except for the mower and the next one I would probably go electric.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #19
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

Yeah gas yard tools are on their way out thank goodness. I have way too many motors to look after and when I need replacements I will definitely go electric if at all possible. I like the electric chainsaws but it will be a long time before they can do major sawing.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #20
hooligan998

Just a quick update to provide some feedback on the trimmer and blower I bought. These things flat out rock! I got both with a battery, so I have two batteries. They will fully charge in 1/2 hour as advertised. For me, one battery does the yard twice both trimming and blowing. The trimmer goes through everything I need it to. I don't have a sprawling piece of property, just a small residential lot, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 acre, so these have proven to be the bees knees.

Loading string into the trimmer head is an absolute dream compared to all my others. No need to take anything apart. Line up the marks, insert your precut string through the head until it's half on each side, and wind the knob. Easy peasy.

There are other tools available that use this battery, and I think the hedge trimmer might be next on the list.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion