register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #41
grommet
kinetic mentality

eeewww.

My worldview is now altered.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #42
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
People are perfectly happy to eat food made for them in a restaurant where Bob just came back from taking a dump and is now making burger patties with his bare hands.

But fried crickets? NO WAY!!
The only thing worse it that if Bob prepared the crickets.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #43
quazz

I am leery of perfect vegetables and I always think of how they could all be so perfect. What kind of herbicides and pesticides (organic or otherwise) must they use? I have always had a garden and while you get some perfect specimens there are more that aren't. So if I find a bug on a veggie or fruit I am almost encouraged. You can flick a bug off and even if you eat it there is no big deal and it is no doubt better than chowing down a bunch of Agent Orange.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #44
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
I am leery of perfect vegetables and I always think of how they could all be so perfect. What kind of herbicides and pesticides (organic or otherwise) must they use? I have always had a garden and while you get some perfect specimens there are more that aren't. So if I find a bug on a veggie or fruit I am almost encouraged. You can flick a bug off and even if you eat it there is no big deal and it is no doubt better than chowing down a bunch of Agent Orange.
I for one avoid organic, natural, etc. Parasites and bacteria are organic and natural. Give me an antibiotic fed chicken who didn't suffer from having diseases while at the farm, which provides quality meat after being harvested. Give me GMO plants that fights diseases and pests on their own, have higher yields and cost less.

So, in 20 year if we're all eating crickets - I'll take mine from a cricket feed lot, not some organic free range hippie commune.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #45
quazz

LOL. I see where you are coming from especially on GMOs which I think show great promise. The problem is that a lot of these genetically modified plants are modified not to repel pests but to be able to withstand the pesticides the company markets. I hate pesticides and herbicides but I certainly concede that food production is far more efficient and there are far fewer cases of mass starvation in the world than there used to be. Certainly these chemicals have contributed but there has to be a better way.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #46
organ donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
I for one avoid organic, natural, etc. Parasites and bacteria are organic and natural. Give me an antibiotic fed chicken who didn't suffer from having diseases while at the farm, which provides quality meat after being harvested.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #47
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Food labeling. It must be true or they couldn't put it on there.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #48
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Everything we now eat has been modified. I remember the sweet corn and beef before science touched it, all natural and much much better in taste and nutrition.
All the grocers have an organic section, most of those veggies taste nothing like what we grow in small plots around here. Fake fake.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #49
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Food labeling. It must be true or they couldn't put it on there.
That is actually true. I am in the business and this is a huge issue. The business is dominated by huge chains and they are absolutely on top of this. They know that if someone has an allergic reaction or any other medical issue from products bought at their stores they are liable not to mention the bad PR and resultant financial impact. Manufacturers would probably cheat if they could but if you ever get caught with inaccurate ingredient specs you are gone. It could put you out of business so it just isn't worth the risk. On top of all of that the FDA does not screw around. So yeah in a nutshell you can believe the nutritional panel on food products.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #50
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
That is actually true. I am in the business and this is a huge issue. The business is dominated by huge chains and they are absolutely on top of this. They know that if someone has an allergic reaction or any other medical issue from products bought at their stores they are liable not to mention the bad PR and resultant financial impact. Manufacturers would probably cheat if they could but if you ever get caught with inaccurate ingredient specs you are gone. It could put you out of business so it just isn't worth the risk. On top of all of that the FDA does not screw around. So yeah in a nutshell you can believe the nutritional panel on food products.
I'm aware of a lot of regs for labels. But terms that start out as marketing ("organic" , "natural" etc) often appear with no regs, the agencies catch up, then end up in a committee that produces some definition or certification that baffles common folk such as me.

Don't get Rabeet started on organic salt
Old 02-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #51
quazz

I agree that natural is poorly defined but the regs around organic are not. They are very strict on ensuring that the product fits the definition of organic. It may be a flawed definition and the benefits may be dubious but it is what they say it is.
I know the crap that manufacturers put in food and it is far better today. natural food is basically defined by the chains and they are strict that manufacturers adhere to their standards. There is nothing altruistic in the chain store's demand for clean labels it is just risk avoidance and marketing. Your FDA is good, they protect you. i would not rely on any corporation to protect anything but their own interests which is fine when they intersect with ours but when they don't we need these protections.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:43 AM   #52
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Someone Paypal me 2$ and I'll post a video of me eating a live cricket
Old 02-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #53
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Now it’s crickets, next maybe it will be Soylent Green?
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #54
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Someone Paypal me 2$ and I'll post a video of me eating a live cricket
Need your Paypal addy ...........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
Now it’s crickets, next maybe it will be Soylent Green?
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, ITS PEOPLE..............................

Classic Heston.............

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #55
organ donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
Everything we now eat has been modified. I remember the sweet corn and beef before science touched it, all natural and much much better in taste and nutrition.
All the grocers have an organic section, most of those veggies taste nothing like what we grow in small plots around here. Fake fake.
Dang man how old are you? Humans have been modifying corn for about 9,000 years. So you remember it before we modified it? Let me guess you used to ride a wooly mammoth to school up a volcano in an ice age both ways.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #56
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
Dang man how old are you? Humans have been modifying corn for about 9,000 years. So you remember it before we modified it? Let me guess you used to ride a wooly mammoth to school up a volcano in an ice age both ways.
How else you gonna get in the furs of them hot cave girls??

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion