register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 10-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
NMWBT

Ivanized carbs and now...

The bike runs so much better! However, there is quite a bit of popping on decel and pops while cruising. It’s not a lot, just once every minute or so.
Mods include:
Ivan’s MB kit
Danmoto Slip-On
Modded box with K&N
4 degree advancer
Ported boots
AIS delete
Ivan’s TPS adjustment

Floats were set at 14.5mm
It’s an 03 but it had all 2.5mm bushings on the needles

Any ideas?
NMWBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
arkie6

Where did you set the mixture screws? 5.0 turns out? If not, you might want to open them up a half turn or so.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
NMWBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Where did you set the mixture screws? 5.0 turns out? If not, you might want to open them up a half turn or so.
I set them at 4 3/4. Those only affect idle, correct? Or do they also affect mid range RPM?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
arkie6

The mixture screws affect fueling throughout the range, but the effect is reduced at higher loads because the other jets (needle and main) provide a much larger contribution.

Note how little the throttle is open when cruising at steady speed on flat ground (barely cracked off idle).

With that being said, I'm not sure if the mixture screws being set at 4-3/4 turns out would cause popping while cruising.

Did you sync your carbs after they were re-installed?

With that 4 deg timing advancer installed, you might try experimenting with minor adjustments of the TPS from where it is set with Ivan's method (no advancer installed). If I recall, I ended up backing off the dynamic TPS adjustment slightly when I installed my 3 deg advancer to get smoother cruising operation and less vibration.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
arkie6

Also, double check your air filter housing to carb intake boots to make sure one in the middle didn't get folded back on the bottom or top side when the carbs were re-installed.

Also double check your AIS delete to make sure the fittings are air tight. Pulling in fresh air at those ports can cause popping in the exhaust.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Also check your header nuts are done up. I had a stud fall out of the header mounts on one of my bikes and that caused the same symptoms you are describing.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
NMWBT

Thanks for the input! I will take a look at it all. I did sync the carbs when I reinstalled them, but the gauge set I ordered was bad so I had to check two carbs at a time. I’m pretty sure it is right but I am going to order a new manometer to be sure.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

I have Ivan's set up with a MIVV GP slip on with the DB killer removed and my bike does it on decel when revs drop below 3K with the throttle shut. I've never been able to completely tune it out, but TPS adjustment was the biggest fix for the issue. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it's normal with this set up.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance