register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 11-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
Gorilla

Re Gearing

Hey team- I'm currently running stock gearing on my 05 (16/44)

I remember hearing something about re-gearing for more highway use (and to 'calibrate' the speedo) Was it one up in the front, for a 17 tooth, and then stock on the back, or the other way around (stock front, 43 rear)
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
Dean Dinnetz

I have been running a o.e.m. 16 front, and 43 rear on my 2002 FZ1, for about a year now. Very pleased with that combo. Still pulls well at all r.p.m. ranges, but great for freeway/touring droning.
Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #3
klj7734

Hmm... I'm running a 16/45
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #4
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Yes, what you're looking for would be like Dean said, 1 down in the rear. Going up one in the front would put you awfully close to the case protector.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:05 AM   #5
jeffg

Dean,
With that combo did you notice a change in gas mileage?

02 FZ1 sold
09 FZ1
04 Ducati 999
O2 R6 trackday
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
Yes, what you're looking for would be like Dean said, 1 down in the rear. Going up one in the front would put you awfully close to the case protector.
Yeah, that's 100% what I thought. I took a good close look at that stock countershaft sprocket and hell, it looks pretty tight already- can't really imagine being able to go any larger on the front.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
I have been running a o.e.m. 16 front, and 43 rear on my 2002 FZ1, for about a year now. Very pleased with that combo. Still pulls well at all r.p.m. ranges, but great for freeway/touring droning.
Dean
Hey Dean- Ok, yep, that makes sense. So it sounds like it's not possible (or advisable) to use a 17 on the front?

Just roll with the stock front and go down one on the rear?

Thanks man!
Old 11-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg View Post
Dean,
With that combo did you notice a change in gas mileage?

To tell the truth, i have not noticed much difference. Course, i never check such things. I just add gas when the gas tank is low.

What i have noticed, is that my speedometer is very close to being correct, on miles per hour. I do not have a speedo healer, so running the 43 rear sprocket, brings the speedometer to almost perfect calibration.

On Interstate 5 in Oregon, there is still a five mile area, in one mile posted sections. I was there this summer, so i stopped at the start of the zero mile marker, and set my trip meter, to zero. Rode the five miles, and checked the trip meter. In five miles, i had traveled five miles, and half of one tenth. So using that, i figure my odometer is off about one percent. Now that is with a half way worn, rear tire. With a new rear tire, i would be about spot on.

So, the 43 rear spocket works well for me.

Dean
Old 11-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
Hey Dean- Ok, yep, that makes sense. So it sounds like it's not possible (or advisable) to use a 17 on the front?

Thanks man!

And nice to hear from you just now, on my cell phone.
Dean
Old 11-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
Gorilla

Hey guys, check this out. Pretty much confirms what Dean shared. Cool writeup called Project Recycle where they put the love on an 04 Skunk!

https://www.cycleworld.com/project-r...z1-html#page-5

Basically, among other things, says the 16/43 combo produces a 6% change vs stock and in essence calibrates the speedo.

Last edited by Gorilla; 11-27-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
Gorilla

You got it man! Take care and keep in touch when you can
Old 11-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post

Thanks man!
Actually, several folks on the forum run a 17 up front, and while close, it does fit. The benefit, aside from the final ratio you're looking for, is that a larger front sprocket will wear slightly slower as well as reduce wear on the chain due again to the slighlty larger circle. Some say fuel mileage improves while touring with this setup as well.

The other thing to consider, albeit small, is the wheelbase change. With the 43 out back, you can slightly lengthen the wb, while a 17 up front will slightly shorten. Slightly.

Front sprockets are the quickest to wear, and also the cheapest to replace. Unless your setup is currently worn near or at the limits, you could just throw on a front sprocket and call it a day.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -

Last edited by iluvmyfz1; 01-31-2018 at 10:36 AM.
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #13
5lv

I run 16/42. The speedometer is just about perfect, and it works with a stock chain.

5lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #14
Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Actually, several folks on the forum run a 17 up front, and while close, it does fit. The benefit, aside from the final ratio you're looking for, is that a larger front sprocket will wear slightly slower as well as reduce wear on the chain due again to the slighlty larger circle. Some say fuel mileage improves while touring with this setup as well.

The other thing to consider, albeit small, is the wheelbase change. With the 43 out back, you can slightly lengthen the wb, while a 17 up front will slightly shorten. Slightly.

Front sprockets are the quickest to wear, and also the cheapest to replace. Unless you're setup is currently worn near or at the limits, you could just throw on a front sprocket and call it a day.
That makes a ton of sense! So, anything else I should be mindful of when running a 17 up front? It looks like I'll have to take off that 'chain retention' thingy.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #15
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Will a taller tire fit?

On the gen 2 it’s common to run a 190/55, instead of the 190/50 stocker. The gen 1 should be a 180/55, another common tire size is a 180/60 which is of course slightly taller.
Taller tire will effectivly lower your gear ratio and decrease cruising rpms as well.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #16
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

This is always fun to look at when it comes to gearing , wwwgearingcommander.com
Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #17
Gorilla

17/43 combo

Hey team, just thought I'd report back with some results. So I slapped on a 17 tooth front (factory OEM from a Gen2) and then went down one in the rear (43 tooth Sunstar)

5,000 rpm will get you 78 mph on the dot (gps).

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering