register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 04-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #81
rv3maker

I know this thread was started years ago, but I just wanted to ask if any of you have a recommendation for starting points on the R6 rear shock adjustments for a ~225-230# new FZ1000 rider? My riding will on the "tame" side to start with.

I know that this topic is a bit subjective, but I would rather start with your recommendations and experiences than with my own on which=0.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated!

Rob
rv3maker
rv3maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:26 AM   #82
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Actually, although the new rear shock was obviously better than the old one, I was plagued by the new shock in Cali and I was unable to ride spirited confidently. My front forks are Ravenrider mixed with 7.5 at oil and settings set as recommended by Ravenrider for his mod. I weigh about 190-200 depending on gear and day of the week. Sag is NOT set. I know. Bad. Whatever.

Also, I am a decently smooth braker, but also very smooth on the throttle. I do not believe it is either of these mid turn affecting what I am feeling. I know my front end is softish and what I am feeling is rear end. The old shock had 45K and was stiff stiff stiff.

I set the rear shock as I quoted above. I am not very good at describing suspension feedback but I will try. On the highway it did fine, but once I got into anything tighter than a long 60mph sweeper, it feels like it is bucking, the rear isn't planted, and I can feel a bump in the rear transfer itself to the front.

Now I was running it at 10 clicks from full hard on rebound. so I backed it off to 15 clicks of preload per Pats instructions and many others. My preload was set at #2 and so I increased that to 3#. So all the settings are now at what it was with my other shock was, and as many use. Still, rear end doesn't feel planed, bumps throw it off line, and the bike feels like it's all over in the tight curves. It holds a line semi okay, but it is not giving me near the confidence the old stiff worn shock did.

Any advice or tips? It really bummed me out on my trip, I was significantly slower and I didn't feel confident mid turn or pre corner like normal.

BruinFZ1 set my front to really hard and that didn't help either, and then I switched both front and rear back to recommended settings by Raven Rider and then Pat for the rear

Also have a roadsmart 2 rear which I have never used before and this was the first time in the twists. Set it at 37 cold. Couldn't get any real feedback from it either, didn't have any slips and used it mostly edge to edge. But maybe it's got something to do with it?.
Still having the same issues. Anything more than a single bump or divet in the roadway causes a surging feeling, although I think I can feel the front is being the harshest? It's been only 13K since I had my forks done and teflon bushings replaced. Maybe it's time for another service?

Also, my swingarm and linkages have never been serviced since I've owned the bike. That could possibly be contributing to the overall harshness/bucking?

But again, it wasn't this bad at all even 3K miles ago before I changed my rear shock to a fresh R6 rear. I'll have to recheck all my settings when I get back home in 2 weeks.

It's to the point that even riding on city or highway roads is tedious and almost makes me not want to ride.

And also consider, at this point, how much more maintenance and more expensive servicing do I want to do to this ole bike that isn't worth much? Already decided that I probably won't do another valve adjustment, she was just within spec at 48K when dealership checked. So again, let's stick with ideas about my suspension dialing, but open to possibilities/opinions on other factors
Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #83
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Per Fermic's recommendation, put bike on centerstand. No freeplay or movement from the wheel or swingarm. Rear wheel bearing was replaced around 55K. At 63500 now.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #84
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Gonna double check my settings today but would like more ideas, even if it's not directly related to some settings, SOMETHING is causing this whole bike harshness that wasn't even present on my old R6 shock with 40K miles on it.

Again, sag isn't a new variable since it wasn't set before and settings are similar as far as preload is concerned on both ends.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #85
Dean Dinnetz

If you still have it, put back your original R6R shock, and see how that works. If the problem goes away, then the new shock is defective.

That being said, these shocks last a long time, as you know.

I obtain all of my R6R shocks, from usually one or two sources only. That way i know what i am getting. All my shocks have only three/four thousand miles on them.

Anyway, try the shock switch, and see what happens.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #86
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

My new shock only had 1000 miles, being a 2016 model.

And yeah I guess I will have to do that. Gonna double check all my settings first and ride some more. Time is a bit precious at the moment but not enjoying my FZ when I ride is real sad too
Old 06-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #87
Dean Dinnetz

And I am wondering if the 2016 model, has different valving, than the previous models? Probably not, but you never know. Or as I mentioned, a defective shock?

Yep, when you get a chance, swap them out, and see what happens.

I think I better stay with 2015, and earlier model R6R shocks, for my shock kits.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #88
Devilsyam
UK Pod Racer

yamahaman give me a email ill give you sum settings devilsyam@gmail.com

see if i can sort it 400 plus units done here in uk not one issue or complaint

so ill try to help

Www.Devilsyam.Com

(On me 5th FZ1)
Devilsyam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering