register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #21
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Yeah, but what about the yellow "Vette" in your garage. That does not match the brown trim on the house! lol!
Yea. I could park a polka dotted car on the driveway and that would be ok.

The HOA here is now inactive. Nobody wanted to serve on the board without liability insurance and nobody wanted to pay for the insurance. So I took advantage of that and replaced my old painted garage and front doors with nice wooden doors. All this without getting permission. Whoa baby!

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #22
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Glenn View Post
Yea. I could park a polka dotted car on the driveway and that would be ok.

The HOA here is now inactive. Nobody wanted to serve on the board without liability insurance and nobody wanted to pay for the insurance. So I took advantage of that and replaced my old painted garage and front doors with nice wooden doors. All this without getting permission. Whoa baby!

Pat

You daredevil, you! lol!
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #23
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by val guy View Post
HOAs do have their place. If you live in a nice subdivision with nice houses, do you really want someone parking their car on their front lawn, leaving their trash all over their yard, not maintaining their fence (letting it rot/mildew), not cutting their grass, etc.?

There are many cases of HOAs going way over the top, but all in all, they do help keep neighborhood standards up, which only helps everyone else's property values.
While all of that is true, some go WAY over the line. My ex-wife's house in Gold River, CA had a HOA and you could not park a car in the driveway or on the street overnight. She had some bark delivered to her driveway and she had to have it removed before sundown. She also could not trim her trees without approval. Total BS in my humble, yet expert, opinion.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #24
LiquidSilver
Bad Cattytude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
While all of that is true, some go WAY over the line. My ex-wife's house in Gold River, CA had a HOA and you could not park a car in the driveway or on the street overnight. She had some bark delivered to her driveway and she had to have it removed before sundown. She also could not trim her trees without approval. Total BS in my humble, yet expert, opinion.
So, her bark wasn't as bad as their bite?

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

There was a Reddit thread about an HOA in Nebraska trying to enforce their laws on a house that was completely outside of the subdivision, had existed for years before the subdivision/HOA came into existence, and had no previous owners agree to be under the HOA guidelines. They wanted him to remove his cattle barn because it exceeded their allowed yard shed size, his mailbox was out of regs, etc.etc.
Personally I dont understand people wanting to give up their freedom and liberties to be surrounded by like minded people. If my neighbor (if I had any) wanted to be a jackass then more power to him. But I can just about out jackass anyone
Old 01-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #26
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
If my neighbor (if I had any) wanted to be a jackass then more power to him. But I can just about out jackass anyone
Sounds like I found someone to dance around the fire with................
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #27
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Sounds like I found someone to dance around the fire with................
After today I am under 100lbs of Tannerite, time to order some more....and there may or may not be pieces of pumpkin on my roof.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #28
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
So, her bark wasn't as bad as their bite?
Exactly!
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #29
grommet
kinetic mentality

Home Owner Anarchy.

Home Owner Association.

Pick your poison.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #30
Duken4evr
Map Maven

My HOA is in the middle of the HOA PITA Spectrum, they can be a pain in the ass, but they are not nearly as bad as the ones mentioned here, and we do have nice common amenities (bike paths, green space, swimming pool, tennis courts, etc. They can serve a purpose, but like any entity given absolute authority over others, HOAs can quickly degenerate into fascist regimes. Given that reality, my next home will be a non HOA deal. I wonder, if HOAs get a bad enough general rep, if having one won't lower a home's property value, which is the opposite of their stated purpose.

My experience to date in my large HOA/Stepford Wives type community is if you have cool neighbors, you do not have problems. If you have problems, it is because you have a nannypants neighbor who ratted you out to the HOA, who is not omniscient in all things trivial violation wise. We had a discussion on our neighborhood's "Nextdoor" board (which is a bastion of mind numbing nattering BS if there ever was one). I contributed the above sentiment and set off a sh%tstorm, something I enjoy doing on there from time to time My favorite comment from a neighbor in response was "I regret that I have but one like to give!"

Ah, the joys of living in the 'Burbs. I think for my next home I will live a little farther out, because too many people in close proximity are a pain in the ass...

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #31
Lickety Split

I love Nextdoor. It let's me know just how crazy many people around me actually are.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #32
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

I side with Daniel Boone who once said that if you can see the chimney smoke on the horizon from your neighbor, they are to close.
As a builder I have to deal with HOAs from time to time, and anymore I always add a premium to the cost when I find out i have to have an extra $50k bond outside of my 2 million insurance policy to be able to drive into the neighborhood, or that the nanny neighbors are going to be calling a meeting because I'm roofing at 7am on Sunday, etc.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #33
Dunesgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by val guy View Post
HOAs do have their place. If you live in a nice subdivision with nice houses, do you really want someone parking their car on their front lawn, leaving their trash all over their yard, not maintaining their fence (letting it rot/mildew), not cutting their grass, etc.?

There are many cases of HOAs going way over the top, but all in all, they do help keep neighborhood standards up, which only helps everyone else's property values.
We have code enforcement department in my city that will cite for those things, even not cutting the grass or trimming bushes. Most things that would involve the upkeep of the exterior of the home and property, you could be cited for. My city also has loan program to help those who need to get major things fixed but don't have the money for it.

More often than not, I've heard of HOAs not allowing you to plant a tree, place landscaping rocks, park a trailer in your driveway, have a garden, build a shed, work on your vehicles outside, have the American flag outside your home, etc. That crap is ridiculous. I don't care if my neighbor wants to paint their house pink. I don't care that they want to park a trailer in their driveway. It's their property.

I know when I was house shopping for my place, I didn't pay much attention to the houses next door. But I do know that if something next door were to have caught my eye (such as a messy yard), I probably would keep looking unless it was the perfect deal. Never ran into that while I was house shopping, probably because we do have a code enforcement department in my city.
Dunesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #34
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

While I understand what they are doing, making sure folk leave a decent impression, I dont agree with telling folk how to live.
No, I dont have broken down vehicles in my yard, nor tractors............. however, some of the best people I know do. They would literally give you the shirt off their back. I have to wonder how some views are so negative. I believe its all about money. Scenery drives what your house will sell. Trailers and junk tends to be a negative while a clean garage and gutters keep the price up. All about impressions. I cut my grass, clean my gutters, straighten my sh#t. Thats the way I was brought up. But, tell me how I should live, sorry you'll find me fighting everytime.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #35
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

Ah, the joys of living in the 'Burbs. I think for my next home I will live a little farther out, because too many people in close proximity are a pain in the ass...
Exactly! I figured that out a few decades ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
While I understand what they are doing, making sure folk leave a decent impression, I dont agree with telling folk how to live.
No, I dont have broken down vehicles in my yard, nor tractors............. however, some of the best people I know do. They would literally give you the shirt off their back. I have to wonder how some views are so negative. I believe its all about money. Scenery drives what your house will sell. Trailers and junk tends to be a negative while a clean garage and gutters keep the price up. All about impressions. I cut my grass, clean my gutters, straighten my sh#t. Thats the way I was brought up. But, tell me how I should live, sorry you'll find me fighting everytime.
I really don't think it is actually the money WileE, I think it is more about insecure little fvkkers wanting made up authority. "Respect my authoritah!"
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #36
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Cartman wannabees........................

"Screw you guy's, I'm goin home........." Say it everyday I leave work. Being a small cog in gluttonous corporate 'merica I have no authoritah.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #37
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Apparently they've reconsidered

https://jalopnik.com/dumbest-hoa-eve...icy-1821967915
Old 01-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #38
okaugust
Spring!!!

For a headline, it sounds like a dumb idea, but then I just read the link above and it made a little more sense. Sounds like the HOA was asleep at the switch in the first place and now had a problem who transients as an outcome:

Quote:
The more interesting part of The Sacramento Bee’s story, though, is the comment from a landlord named James Croci. He provides a bit of context for the HOA’s open-door policy, telling the newspaper that the neighborhood used to just be a bunch of fourplexes with carports, which were meant to be maintained by the HOA.

After a while, he said, residents started installing overhead doors, and eventually, “transients” began sneaking into side doors and living in the garages. Croci, who had positive things to say about the HOA in general, claimed the garage doors really weren’t supposed to be there
I used to think "no one is going to tell me what to do with my property" too, until the neighbor across the street started parking cars in the yard because the boat took up too much space parked crooked in the driveway. For an OCD person like me, that was murder to see every day.

But if you are willing to put up with it, you are smart and shop the HOA rules before you buy so you know if you can live with them and the others with you. People who move in then violate rule after rule kill me. Don't care, didn't read the rules. Who does that?

For instance, I don't call in my neighbor down the street for parking a truck in the driveway sometimes. I don't complain if they leave their huge RV in the street a day too long while they prep it coming or going. But when someone leaves an ice fishing hut parked on the pond by my house for two weeks straight, I get to ask the question: what is our policy on that? Maybe it's not against the rules. But either is me pouring 50 pounds of rock salt around it?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #39
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Go Tina!!!!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #40
2wheelmax

Ridiculous rule that will probably cost the HOA an expensive lawsuit. Not only does it expose homes to theft it also allows rats, snakes and other vermin an easy entrance.

The big secret of many HOAs is that 33% of residents are often late with payment of their dues. HOAs then need to dip into reserves to cover operating expenses and when a big expense comes up there is a special assessment.
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion