register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 09-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
bbobbitt54jr

Running badly, maybe on 2 cylinders

Hi everyone. I'm glad to be part of the FZ1 crowd. And to start it off, I've got a 2002 FZ1 that's never had any problems with running well before. I've had the bike for about 10 years and still love it. But right now I'm stuck driving my car. The problem I'm having is that it seems like it's running on 2 cylinders, maybe 3. It starts fine and will idle but not well. I have to rev it a lot to get started off in 1st gear or it stalls out. I've checked the spark at all 4 cylinders with a spark checker device you shove into the boot then ground on the engine. Good spark on all 4 cylinders. I've replaced the spark plugs in the last few weeks. When I start it the number 2 and 4 exhaust pipes aren't getting hot. The other 2 get smoking hot in under 10 secs. So it sounds as though there's no combustion happening in those 2 cylinders. I also dumped some fuel treatment and water remover in the tank a couple of weeks ago but it hasn't seemed to help. Where do I go from here ??
bbobbitt54jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
isleoman

You don't indicate if it sat for a while. If it did then it sounds like carbs might need cleaning

If it were 1/4 not getting hot I might think coil.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
bbobbitt54jr

The bike did sit for several weeks in between rides. Today I drained the carbs and noticed that I got different amounts from each carb. Not really sure that matters since I didn't see any dirt or water in the gas. I'm trying to cover all the simple items before I dive into pulling the carbs out. I've learned through the years that when something changes drastically, it's probably something simple. It's run fine for 10 years, then all of a sudden it stopped.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
isleoman

Have you pulled the new plugs to see how they look? If they are fuel fouled maybe clean them up and try again.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

You get a strong smell of gas in the exhaust when idling? Stuck floats or trash in the float valve seats will cause your cylinders to flood and not fire correctly, thus your header tubes never come up to temp. I highly recommend pulling carbs and cleaning.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
klj7734

Ya if after 10 years you've never pulled the carbs and cleaned them then they are most certainly due. I pull mine at least once a year to clean them. As a matter of fact they're out now I just have not had the time to get into them due to work being non-stop every day 80+ hours a week. Do replace the o-rings and go buy a .001 smooth guitar string to run through all the passage ways! If you haven't already I would also suggest installing a jet kit while you're in there.
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
bbobbitt54jr

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. It is starting to sound like a carb problem but I don't think I have the tools or patience to pull them out and clean them myself. It looks like a pretty involved job and would take some time. So I'm kinda stuck. I haven't been able to find any repair shops in my area that I trust. Anyone have any other ideas before I look into getting the carbs out myself? Anything else I can try dumping into the gas that may clean the carbs without removing them?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
bbobbitt54jr

I haven't noticed a strong gas smell when its running, and I stuck my head right into the exhaust air. I also pulled out the plug from the cylinder that isn't heating the exhaust pipe to check the condition. It looked fine and only a little dirty. Cleaned it up and re-installed it. Started the bike again, and it's still running really rough.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
klj7734

I'm not sure but possibly one of your coils is bad? I'm guessing it would still run on 2 cylinders with one of the coils having gone out.

Pulling and cleaning the carbs isn't that difficult or time consuming but does take a little bit, but not much, longer with an airbox on the bike.

There are many good write ups on how to do it here on the site.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
bbobbitt54jr

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I finally located a reputable repair shop near my house so I'm taking it there. I've talked to several people who've taken their bikes there, and they've all said good things about the service. Work has been really busy so I don't know when I 'll have time to spend on it anyway. I will let everyone know what they find when I get it back. Thanks again !! Keep it between the ditches !!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
klj7734

I've been looking at my carbs sitting on the floor since I was able to be pull them off of the bike on labor day. This weekend is the first weekend I've had since then so I'm going to get into them and get them all cleaned up so I can sync them and go ride!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #12
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

on carbs

This new ethanol fuel is garbage if you let it sit. If that shop you've got it at can't figure it out, pull the carbs yourself and rebuild them. There's many video tutorials available, and the job isn't that difficult.

This would also let you see what jet sizes you have in there, which is always a good thing to know on a carbed bike.

In the future, when storing the bike for longer than a couple weeks, fill it up with fuel with some fuel stabilizer, and when you get back to the garage, let the bike idle with the petcock switched off. Make sure the carbs are nice and empty and let the bike shut itself off.
Then periodically go out to it and shake the bike back and forth to slosh the fuel around in the tank, keeps it from rusting.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:40 AM   #13
bbobbitt54jr

The shop where my bike is called me yesterday and asked for permission to pull the carbs and rebuild them, so I think they're on the right track. They verified spark and compression is good on all cylinders. Looks like at least 1 and maybe 2 cylinders just isn't getting any gas. So something is clogged in the carbs most likely.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #14
dingbat
I brake for ice cream.

While they're off, determine if it has been re-jetted. If not, have it done.

Ivan's, Holeshot, or Raven Rider.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #15
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
While they're off, determine if it has been re-jetted. If not, have it done.

Ivan's, Holeshot, or Raven Rider.

Ask them to tell you the low speed, AND the high speed jet sizes while they have it apart.

Write this information down, and when you get the bike back, if you want, or need, to add more fuel, it's as simple as pulling the carbs out draining them, flipping them over and pulling the bowls. Typically the jets can be found there. It's a simple job.

I don't have firsthand experience with gen 1 jet sizes. But I'm sure somebody on the OA knows what they should be for your altitude.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #16
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobbitt54jr View Post
The shop where my bike is called me yesterday and asked for permission to pull the carbs and rebuild them, so I think they're on the right track. They verified spark and compression is good on all cylinders. Looks like at least 1 and maybe 2 cylinders just isn't getting any gas. So something is clogged in the carbs most likely.
Whoa. No need to "rebuild" anything. Just need to have them taken apart and the jets and passages cleaned, and then the carbs synced. The only thing to "rebuild" would be replacing the O ring on the float bowl needles.

I just have a bad feeling they're thinking of replacing the sliders, the springs, etc.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #17
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Whoa. No need to "rebuild" anything. Just need to have them taken apart and the jets and passages cleaned, and then the carbs synced. The only thing to "rebuild" would be replacing the O ring on the float bowl needles.

I just have a bad feeling they're thinking of replacing the sliders, the springs, etc.
Excellent point. Before allowing work to be done, ask what they are rebuilding, or have a quote specifying parts and labor. A good cleaning and o rings should not cost more than 150 I would think. Thats time and parts. 2 hours at 60 and a generous 30 for orings.
Shame your not set up to do it yourself. I know someone here can guide you through it. Hell, maybe someone close to you might even help do it. Sometimes tinkerin on the bike is just as good as riding. I find its almost as relaxing. Just food for thought. No dis meant.
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000, '02 XR650L THE TRACTOR
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #18
dingbat
I brake for ice cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post

I don't have firsthand experience with gen 1 jet sizes. But I'm sure somebody on the OA knows what they should be for your altitude.
Good read no matter what you're doing for jetting:
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89724
Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
bbobbitt54jr

Sorry guys, no disrespect intended but why would I want to do anything but get the carbs cleaned and whatever parts are bad replaced. When it was running on all cylinders it ran great and was faster than I want to go !! I've been 125 mph on it, and it was still climbing when I backed off, so I don't need a hotrod. I just need a bike that has the power to go when I need it to, and an engine that runs smoothly and efficiently. If you want to do all these mods, that's a personal choice thing, its just not my thing. But I appreciate all the suggestions. It's made me learn more about my bike whether I use that info or not, and that's a good thing.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #20
longeze

Quote:
... why would I want to do anything but get the carbs cleaned and whatever parts are bad replaced. When it was running on all cylinders it ran great and was faster than I want to go !! I've been 125 mph on it, and it was still climbing... so I don't need a hotrod. I just need a bike that has the power to go when I need it to, and an engine that runs smoothly and efficiently.
Like sauce 4 the goose..I'll take a stab at it(don't I always?-lol) This "might" answer your question: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=141091

You could also ask "Why not ride a 750?" But to be more explicit..
A1: Because they're already going to be in there working on your carbs and as so many FZ owners B4 you have determined, it's little money - well spent. In all of the literally thousands of posts about jet kits & rejetting that I've read here, best as I recall, only 2 were unhappy with a jetting change. That ought to tell you something...

A2: It's not just about top speed. For me, it's about increasing the responsiveness off the bottom end(low end torque), so I don't have to wind it up all the time to have a bit of fun. While I'm bang'n on about it, for very little money and effort, the suspension can also be tweaked to make the bike even more fun and provide an added margin of safety when you need it.

Quote:
... It's made me learn more about my bike whether I use that info or not, and that's a good thing.
Couldn't agree more! Make sure they replace your float bowl gaskets as well - they're prone to leak over time. Ride safe...
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues