register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance

Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
kw31416

Radiator fluid leaking from cap

So, I purchased a new 2015 FZ1 last March and, since the manual specifies changing the coolant fluid every 4 years, I did it myself a couple of weeks ago. After I filled it the level in the reservoir was slightly over the max (or full) line.

On successive rides the level in the coolant level in the reservoir was dropping, and there were a couple of times there were small puddles after rides. There was also a little dried coolant at various places on the right side of the cowling, eng. etc. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed the reservoir was dry.

So I checked, and concluded that perhaps I did not seat the radiator cap properly. I reseated it carefully this time, filled the reservoir up to the max line, and then rode it to work this morning - a 65 mile commute.

At lunch I noticed that, once again, there was dried radiator fluid on the right side of the bike, and the fluid level in the reservoir had dropped a bit.

Engine temperatures have been in the normal range the whole time.

I'm assuming that, since this is a new bike, and the issues started at the same time I changed the radiator coolant, that I must have done something wrong - but I can't figure out what since it is a pretty straightforward operation.

Thanks -
kw31416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
okrider

I'd make sure you closed the cap fully, or get a new cap.
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
SManZ

Mine's the same way and been that way for many years (2006, 120K on it) If I fill the reservoir to the fill line it will come out of the overflow hose when I park the bike in the summer. Fluid levels in the radiator are never low but I can't seem to keep coolant in the reservoir so I refill occasionally. Engine temps are in the normal range as well.

If anyone can explain this it would be appreciated!

OP, if you have coolant around the right side of the engine case I would suggest tracing it down. If you remove the inner fairing panels you can get a better look behind the radiator and around the fill cap. Try taking a peek right when you park the bike.
'08 WR250R

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good .45 at your side, kid
SManZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
arkie6

Closely inspect the inner and outer rubber sealing surfaces on the radiator cap and the corresponding metal mating surfaces on the radiator neck and verify no tears, holes, nicks, scratches, or other imperfections that would allow coolant leakage.

Inspect the overflow reservoir air vent and verify it is open. It is possible it could have been plugged up by a mud dauber or similar insect, especially if it was in storage/out of service for an extended time period during warm weather when these insects build nests. You can also disconnect the rubber overflow hose at the radiator fill neck and blow into it with your mouth. If you can't blow through this line, then something is plugged up. If it is plugged up, then pressure buildup in the cooling system will be forced out of other places, i.e. the radiator cap.

Also make sure the overflow hose from the radiator neck to the overflow tank isn't leaking. Check the hose nipple on the side of the radiator fill neck to make sure it isn't cracked or leaking.

You could just have a faulty radiator cap that isn't maintaining proper pressure allowing the coolant to boil off at normal engine operating temperatures. Although, if this was the case and everything else was operating properly, I would expect the coolant leakage to be from your overflow reservoir air vent.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
SManZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
You could just have a faulty radiator cap that isn't maintaining proper pressure allowing the coolant to boil off at normal engine operating temperatures. Although, if this was the case and everything else was operating properly, I would expect the coolant leakage to be from your overflow reservoir air vent.
Very interesting arkie! Sounds like it would be worth it to me to try a new radiator cap.
'08 WR250R

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good .45 at your side, kid
SManZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
LDH

Weak cap causing localized boiling ( not overheating) which pushes coolant out. Replace cap
LDH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance