register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 09-11-2018, 05:40 AM   #1
firefly
2004 FZ1

Carburetor rebuild kit

I found these at a reasonable price 4 carbs for ~$30.00. will I need any other o-rings when rebuilding the carbs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb kit (600 x 529).jpg (46.5 KB, 108 views)
firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
harun
DUKE

carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
I found these at a reasonable price 4 carbs for ~$30.00. will I need any other o-rings when rebuilding the carbs?
That is very good price.I just payed only 4 pieces gasket 21$.On rockymountainatvmc.com
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 AM   #3
firefly
2004 FZ1

Most would recommend stock parts but for that price I thought to give it a try, the parts look & feel well made but the proof will be after I install & use them in my carbs.
I figured since parts are outsourced to cheaper manufacturers & Chines products are rapidly getting better the price was right without the ridiculous mark up. I will have a better idea & will give a feedback after I install them.

I also bought front calipers rebuild kits at a reasonable price, installed them & can say they work very well & the quality is great, the kit included new bleeder screws & grease to apply during installation.

Not to mention brake pads at a fraction of the price that come for both front calipers & perform as good as ABC HH or Galfer at a much higher price
Old 01-11-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
wotnnc
Old Enough To Know Better

I just pulled the oil pump back off of a Honda Civic that I rebuilt three years ago, because of a faulty Chinese O ring that had lost its elasticity and allowed oil to get past.
What started as a wet area around the oil pump gradually turned into a drip which wet the underside of the car and left a puddle in the garage floor.
Never again, in a location such as that, it's OEM or nothing for me.

Last edited by wotnnc; 01-11-2019 at 06:56 AM.
wotnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotnnc View Post
I just pulled the oil pump back off of a Honda Civic that I rebuilt three years ago, because of a faulty Chinese O ring that had lost its elasticity and allowed oil to get past.
What started as a wet area around the oil pump gradually turned into a drip which wet the underside of the car and left a puddle in the garage floor.
Never again, in a location such as that, it's OEM or nothing for me.
This right here. Is the job worth doing twice to save a couple dollars?

To me it isn’t.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
firefly
2004 FZ1

I am a firm believer in getting original genuine parts but also like to try after market parts in none critical areas, this kit is from Taiwan not China, we'll see how they hold.
I don't like to be totally dismissive of Chinese made products because some are really good.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Many OEM parts are made in China, it's just a gamble as to whether you are getting the same quality materials and process. If you're comfortable pulling the carbs and replacing everything, then I'd say you're probably comfortable trying them out!

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

You may get lucky and those parts may be just as good as the OEM. My '03 with 66k still has the rubber bits installed by the good folks in Japan back in summer of '02. Lucky is good.

As someone who deals with o-rings significantly on critical breathing apparatus, I can tell you that even the high end manufacturers have issues at times.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #9
wotnnc

Being made in China doesn't mean it's bad. Husqvarna recently started making some of their engine parts there and Stihl also has a factory there so parts coming from an OEM or an otherwise known good source, are probably ok.
As for the O ring I had that failed, it came in an engine kit ordered by the shop that did the machine work on my engine. The kit came with the rings, pistons, bearings, oil pump and gaskets. Everything else seemed to be OK but there was definitely something out of spec with the material that O ring was made from. This engine has an O ring in it now from Honda, and I consider that $1.75 well spent. BTW, my leak is GONE!
Old 01-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
wotnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
You may get lucky and those parts may be just as good as the OEM. My '03 with 66k still has the rubber bits installed by the good folks in Japan back in summer of '02. Lucky is good.

As someone who deals with o-rings significantly on critical breathing apparatus, I can tell you that even the high end manufacturers have issues at times.
I rebuilt the carbs on both of my bikes. Everything looked great but while they were taken apart, it just made sense to me to replace a few things. Everything came from Yamaha and hopefully will last as long as what was installed at the factory. If not, it isn't because I didn't try.
I surely don't want to be 400 miles from home with carburetor problems.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotnnc View Post
I rebuilt the carbs on both of my bikes. Everything looked great but while they were taken apart, it just made sense to me to replace a few things. Everything came from Yamaha and hopefully will last as long as what was installed at the factory. If not, it isn't because I didn't try.
I surely don't want to be 400 miles from home with carburetor problems.
Me either. Since these OEM bits have lasted far longer than I've expected, I will not mind paying for the same as replacements. Hopefully the current rubber parts are similar or better than the originals. If I only have to pull the carbs out once every 15+ years, that is very acceptable to me!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #12
wotnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Me either. Since these OEM bits have lasted far longer than I've expected, I will not mind paying for the same as replacements. Hopefully the current rubber parts are similar or better than the originals. If I only have to pull the carbs out once every 15+ years, that is very acceptable to me!
Yes, I can live with that too. With reasonable upkeep, the old Gen 1's are as reliable as anything you'll find.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #13
dingbat
I brake for ice cream.

Care to share where you found that kit?
When I rebuilt the carbs on my '03, I found that all the carb kits I looked at had the same exact part number but were priced all over the place depending who you bought from.
The only other o-rings I needed were for the gas pipes between the carbs which you can only get to if you split the carbs. Picked those up at a local NAPA no problem.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:05 AM   #14
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
Care to share where you found that kit?
When I rebuilt the carbs on my '03, I found that all the carb kits I looked at had the same exact part number but were priced all over the place depending who you bought from.
The only other o-rings I needed were for the gas pipes between the carbs which you can only get to if you split the carbs. Picked those up at a local NAPA no problem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-Carburet...p9M:rk:31:pf:0
Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #15
firefly
2004 FZ1

another kit that has everything to rebuild the carbs including the O-rings between the carbs if you split the carbs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parts-Unlim...:pf:0#shpCntId

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance