click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 11-17-2015, 06:05 AM   #281
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzman View Post
Thanks, John

Ok so riding impressions, Keep in mind my stock forks had AK20s.

Stella seems a bit happier to turn in than before. But she is still plenty stable. I am curious if the front wheel and forks are much lighter than the stock ones. I noticed she likes to lift the front wheel pretty easily (could just be the cooler weather). I'd say the stock R1 forks are pretty similar to the stock ones with AK20s but you do feel that they have less flex. There might be a tad bit more nose dive under breaking than I had with the Aks though....
Brakes, Ok so I have the radial 6 pot calipers with used pads and probably Brake fluic contaminated. and initial bite seems good, but they don't haul the bike down all that well. Also I used the spray bottle method to bleed air from the brake lines. This method worked very well, but with no air i the system. The lever gets tight way out there and is hard to squeeze. (I am seriously thinking about grinding my leaver down or adding a tad bit of air to the system.)
Will brake parts cleaner remove brake fluid from the brake pads?
Thanks for the initial write-up. Sound like an improvement, except for the brake dive. If those are the stock R1 springs, RavenRider discussed early on how they were too light for the added weight of a Gen I FZ. Of course, since you have AK20s, if you go the route of swapping them over and use the correct springs, I'd bet your brake dive would be greatly minimized.

Sounds like those pads aren't biting the rotors well. If any have been soaked with brake fluid, I'd toss them and get new ones. Scuff up those rotors too. You know the drill.

Congrats David!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #282
CBXR

Re Springs

A question for 82 Packer, My 02 was written off as I was getting ready to swap in the front forks. I now have a Gen 2 and I am thinking to do the swap.
what springs did you use. I am finding the front end a perhaps a bit stiff.
I had thought to use a set of 1.05's I weigh 200 without gear. Any tips are appreciated.
@ Cruzman I might be able to help- I am assuming a Gen 2 fender will do the job I have a silver in fair shape.\
there as a wrinkle,I live in British Columbia and have a mail boxJust across the Border.If your not in a hurry provided the road is clear I will be in Sumas the first week of December. PM If interested. Say $20.00 plus shipping.
I have no need for it now.
CBXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #283
grommet
kinetic mentality

Cruzman, the last time I rode those forks and wheel, I was at the track. I was pushing it hard in the corners, and the rotors were HOT. I remember noticing as I packed the wheel up that the rotors were a bit blue from the heat.

I agree with John. If the pads were soaked get some new ones. And take some sandpaper to the rotors. I had what I would call superb performance from those brakes, and the one other person who rode my bike agreed that they worked great.

After you do that, take them out and push them hard for a while and get the rotors and pads hot together. Don't freak out on them but let them get well acquainted.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #284
Cruzman
ATGATT It's the only way 2 fly

Ok so day 2.

Yesterday the fork stem bearings loosened up and I babied it on the ride home. Today however everything stayed tight and I got to be a bit aggressive. As for the brakes, i am getting some pulsing, but other than that they work great. The solution was to roll my lever downward some which proved to me a more comfortable grip and allowed me to provide more braking force with less effort. (Hey don't ask me. but I can can now comment on what it feels like to smack your balls on the tank....)

I'll clean the rotors and see what I can do about the pads.

Ok so back to the AK20s v/s R1 forks. So far I notice that these forks are stiffer it seems. They inspire more confidence when braking hard. And I definitely feel less flex out of them when there are bumps in a tight corner.

As for their valving. I can tell you that they feel pretty close to the AKs (keep in mind I have not messed with the setting, or set the sag or anything like that.) When traveling and hitting a sharp bump like an expansion joint. They give what feels like a clank through the bars. This is not as sharp as the clank that the stock forks gave, but it is noticeable. The Aks feel more plush over these type of hits. Also when you hit a succession of small bumps the R1 forks make this feel like chatter through the bars, where the Aks made it feel like ripples like the tire stayed in better contact with the road.

As for the R1 forks, they have fresh 5wt fluid in them but the seals and slides all have quite a bit of age on them (so I was told). I'll try and do some adjusting on them over the weekend and see how close I can get them to the AKs.

2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, 07 R1 Fork Swap with BrianG stem and AK20s, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
DanMoto Rearsets, Akrapovic slip-on [/color]
2014 BMW S1000R "Trixie"
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #285
yosty

FYI I'm going to get some stems made if anyone is interested... http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho....php?p=2705089
yosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #286
fubar

Good luck with your stems

I still have 3 left over from a run I had done last summer. Only one taker.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #287
yosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar View Post
I still have 3 left over from a run I had done last summer. Only one taker.
I ended up getting two. They're both spoken for, so anyone else who needs one: talk to FUBAR.
yosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #288
fubar

Another stem sold, so I have 2 left.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #289
fubar

Bumping thread

Still two stems left.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #290
dGenerate

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar View Post
Still two stems left.
I'll take one off your hands if you still have any.
dGenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #291
rdcusmc

I love my R1 fork conversion. Good luck with your mod!

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #292
fubar

I have No More stems left.

But I do have plenty of aluminum round bar stock left. Maybe 6' of it.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #293
rv3maker

Has everyone given up on finding a source for these stems? I am re-rebuildling my gen 1 after an unfortunate event and was looking at gen 1 forks on fleabay and thought I would see if there is any interest out there for R1 conversions....Grommet keeps intriguing me back to doing this conversion.
rv3maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #294
rdcusmc

I remain stupid happy I converted mine.

Best

Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #295
iluvmyfz1

Hey Ron!

I cannot remember, did you have your R1 forks extended by Traxxion to maintain stock front height?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
Old 02-12-2020, 07:39 AM   #296
rdcusmc

Hey John! I didn’t. I like the faster turn in with the shorter geometry. You have to be careful running about 100 with the change in geometry but that doesn’t happen very often so no big deal.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #297
pogden
Forever here Lykos

I still have my R1 stem, I never converted mine. I forget now who I bought mine from. Pretty sure it was a guy in Canada.

"Jim, my son, always in my heart.
"Gra' Go Deo".

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever".
Mahatma Gandhi

1971 Blonde
1973 Redhead
1978 Blonde, Redhead, Brunette
1980 Redhead..............
pogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #298
iluvmyfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogden View Post
I still have my R1 stem, I never converted mine. I forget now who I bought mine from. Pretty sure it was a guy in Canada.
Sounds like an original Brian G. stem.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering