click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 01-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #21
phaseshifter
phaseshifter

Could you please go advertise in your own post.
phaseshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #22
phaseshifter
phaseshifter

If you've seen my other post on air mixture screws' you'll know my engine had been rattling. So I drained the oil today and found it was contaminated with coolant. Hmmm. I guess I didn't get off so lucky with the cam chain issue. I took the top apart and removed the cam cover. Nothing looks odd up top. Not sure where it's getting in.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #23
phaseshifter
phaseshifter

Well I pulled the oil pan today in order to inspect the water and oil pump. Good thing because I found a gob of plastic and metal shavings. Who knows where those shavings got to. Yeesh!
Old 01-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #24
phaseshifter
phaseshifter

All the crap was stopped by the oil sucker screen.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #25
phaseshifter
phaseshifter

Got the bike all back together with oil pan and pickup screen all cleaned up and new seals in water/oil pump. Started her up and still has that nasty top end rattle. I thought oil starvation but I guess not. This is beyond my capability now. Any advice? Anybody wanna buy a cheap project bike? I am frustrated with myself!
Old 02-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #26
isleoman

I was hoping this wouldn't occur.

I would think the strainer and oil filter should have prevented debris from getting into the oil paths feeding the head.

Are you sure the cam chain tensioner is installed / adjusted properly?

You just adjusted the valves with the cams out? Any evidence of debris in the head? I would think the cam bearing surfaces would be chewed up quickly by oil starvation. Any evidence?

Something wrong with the timing chain from operating in the debris and against the failed tensioner? Chains get loud. Don't forget suggestion about cam chain slipping a tooth on sprockets.

Does the noise speed up with the RPMs? I'll have to re-find your video and re-listen.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #27
phaseshifter
phaseshifter

No evidence of debris up top during the last time I had it open. Cams turn smoothly. Valve spacing are within spec. I followed the manual with regards to adjusting tensioner. Basically you hold the plunger back by keeping a screwdriver in the screw at the end while bolting it on. Then release the screw and let it go back out providing tension to the chain. The chain looks fine too. Yes noise speeds up with rpms.

I'm wondering if somehow the valve guides got damaged.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #28
isleoman

Why would valve guides make noise? Leaking oil/fuel and smoking but the noise doesn't fit.

I re-listened to your youtube video. Is it louder on the cam chain side of the motor? Have you listened with your ear to a screwdriver (orange juice and vodka) touching the tensioner.

The noise in the video at a distance is hard to pinpoint.

So you replaced items 10 and 11? Did you replace 6? Is it worn so the screws are touching the chain?

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a...camshaft-chain
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #29
arkie6

Did you replace the cam chain and cam chain tensioner? If not, that would be the most likely cause for the noise. I had a cam chain tensioner that was rattling and replacing it with a new one reduced the noise from that area. If you remove the small bolt in the end of the tensioner with the engine running and watch the end of the internal screwdriver slot with a flashlight, is it bouncing around, especially when you rev the engine? If so, I would replace it. And to be honest, I wouldn't trust that cam chain after being put under the amount of abnormal stress it saw.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #30
phaseshifter
phaseshifter

I did not replace 6. I looked at it and it did not look worn to me. I tried the screwdriver to the ear trick but could not pinpoint anything. Honestly the cam chain did not seem bad at all but all I did was clean it and look at visually so am not really sure. I will take a look at the internal screw
Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #31
phaseshifter
phaseshifter

I went out and listened again and it's definitely louder on the chain side of the engine. Couldn't see the screw bouncing around. Anyway I just ordered and new cam chain, tensioner and that little guide at the top (no. 6). So off with the top again. Ugh!

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance