register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 07-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #9841
bradd
Working away

Went for a ride. Then adjusted the EXUP, broke one of the bolts off the holds the cover on. Fortunately the EXUP bolts came out so I could take the whole valve out, tried an easy out, wouldn't work. Wound up drilling all the way through the bolt, it has become one with the bike. I put it back on with 2 bolts holding the cover. I'll have to tap that hole and get a new bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg exup.jpeg (103.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #9842
longeze

___or you could just delete it and save yourself the trouble - and some weight )
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:01 AM   #9843
OldBiker

Just returned from the Dragon. Bike ran great but heavy rains in Indianapolis guarantee a full wash job is in it's future.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:08 AM   #9844
fermic37

Thanks to the pure crap weather and flooding around my area, I haven't even ridden it with the new rotor... but I did start it to make sure its charging.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #9845
old77zrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
Whatever you do, don’t move to coastal NC. Too many Yankees and halfbacks already. Just kidding.
Hey....I'm a yankee turned Carolinan.
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #9846
old77zrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
My rotor should arrive today or tomorrow. I'll probably throw it on some time next week. Taking the Concours to the dragon for the first time this weekend.
Very nice. Warm up to it slow my friend. Its no FZ1.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #9847
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by old77zrider View Post
Very nice. Warm up to it slow my friend. Its no FZ1.
Just got back and it was a blast. It causes me back pain for some reason, probably have to play with the handlebar. The linked braking threw me off a couple times. I also think there might be air in the rear caliper. Just found out there's two bleeder nipples on the rear caliper which I think is super weird
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #9848
old77zrider

Quote:
Just got back and it was a blast. It causes me back pain for some reason, probably have to play with the handlebar. The linked braking threw me off a couple times. I also think there might be air in the rear caliper. Just found out there's two bleeder nipples on the rear caliper which I think is super weird
The rear brake has pistons that are attached to the front brake lever system and are separate from the rear brake pedal system, hence two bleeder valves.

I didn't have any back pain on my 2009 Connie when I chased you and the rest of the gang at the last rally. I did get a lot of forearm fatigue though. If moving the bars doesn't help try changing your seat position to modify your posture.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #9849
okrider

Quote:
The rear brake has pistons that are attached to the front brake lever system and are separate from the rear brake pedal system, hence two bleeder valves.

I didn't have any back pain on my 2009 Connie when I chased you and the rest of the gang at the last rally. I did get a lot of forearm fatigue though. If moving the bars doesn't help try changing your seat position to modify your posture.
I'll do that. So how do you bleed the second bleeder on the rear? Do you pump the front brake?

In other news, put the new and improved generator rotor on my bike yesterday. The new part just wouldn't go in the bike. After working on it for an hour, I managed to get it to work. Total time was 1:30-2 hours. Riding the bike today, it rides fine. Don't you love it when you spend $350 on your bike and it rides exactly the same. At least it won't go kaboom on me. Put the old rotor on eBay. I'll see if anyone bites. Old rotor looked new at 27k miles. Bearings were good.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:46 AM   #9850
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
... Put the old rotor on eBay. I'll see if anyone bites..
Thanks for the heads-up, I was just getting ready to list mine as well. I'll just sit on it for a couple weeks, no sense in undercuting each other.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #9851
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, I was just getting ready to list mine as well. I'll just sit on it for a couple weeks, no sense in undercuting each other.
, that's very kind of you. Appreciate it. I also shot a video of the procedure. It got very dark towards the end because I couldn't install the new rotor no matter how much I tried. I'll try to edit it and see if it's worth posting.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #9852
fermic37

I wonder if the one in the classifieds on here ever sold for 175. You cant comment on his posts to ask or you get really nasty PMs
Old 08-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #9853
jointbeaker

Washed some bugs off, trying to shine up a bit for a weekend ride with friends.

jointbeaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #9854
Dean Dinnetz

Did the finish sanding on a spare rear cowl with 500 grit wet sandpaper, for my 2001 FZ1.

Pat had the original rear cowl, side panels, and grab rails, refinished some years ago. The painter did not get the deep purplish/blue color quite correct.

I have recently refinished said side panels, and grab rails in the correct color, and will do the last piece, this cowl, at a certain pals place who is quiet, next week.

As slow as i now ride, we can't be having mixed matched painted pieces, on my FZ1. lol!

After the big Reno ride, come this early Sept., i will do the last piece. A spare gas tank, that i will use the "tuning" decals on it. The gas tank i have now on the bike is perfect in condition, but has the o.e.m. white letters "Yamaha", written on it. I prefer the look of the 2003 to 2005 FZ1 gas tanks, with the tuning fork decals. Who knows, after i paint/install the spare gas tank, i might just put the white lettered gas tank up for sale here. One cannot obtain brand new gen.1 gas tanks, any longer. Do not make them, anymore.

Dean

P.S. Very soon, going to have to paint a Shoei helmet, to match the purplish/blue.
Ahh, it never ends! lol!

P.P.S. And yet another Shoei RF1100 has been bid on and won, for 80 bucks, two hours ago.
Be working on that, whilst i am house sitting in Willow Glen, San Jose, Ca. for five days, weekend after next. lol!

Last edited by Dean Dinnetz; 08-03-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Dean Dinnetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #9855
old77zrider

Quote:
I'll do that. So how do you bleed the second bleeder on the rear? Do you pump the front brake? I don't know which one is the front. Just get some tubing that fits the nipple and a container and see which one pushes out fluid when the nipple is loosened and the front brake lever is pulled.

In other news, put the new and improved generator rotor on my bike yesterday. The new part just wouldn't go in the bike. After working on it for an hour, I managed to get it to work. Total time was 1:30-2 hours. Riding the bike today, it rides fine. Don't you love it when you spend $350 on your bike and it rides exactly the same. At least it won't go kaboom on me. Put the old rotor on eBay. I'll see if anyone bites. Old rotor looked new at 27k miles. Bearings were good.
What bike and why did you change it?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #9856
okrider

Quote:
What bike and why did you change it?
The FZ1 because Gen 2 is known to fail and tear off the magnets, sending them all around the engine to which they then stick to because they are magnets.

I just bled both using the rear brake pedal and fluid came out either way. I didn't try the front. the one on the inside (the one I didn't initially bleed) had dirty fluid in it somehow. I'll try using the front lever to bleed the rear, see what happens.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #9857
fermic37

Went for a little 200 mile ride with the GF yesterday. My bike feels faster with the new rotor. Almost like the coils are getting more power.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #9858
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Went for a little 200 mile ride with the GF yesterday. My bike feels faster with the new rotor. Almost like the coils are getting more power.
Imagine what it would be like if it was gray!
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #9859
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Imagine what it would be like if it was gray!
I hear those have the most power, lowest coefficient of drag, and are the fastest of that model.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #9860
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
I hear those have the most power, lowest coefficient of drag, and are the fastest of that model.
Despite their tendency to carry copious amounts of luggage
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion