click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 12-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
FZ1mjk

Better Wind/Weather Protection - Is It Akin to the Silk Purse Out of a Sow's Ear Thin

Thinking about trying a different windscreen like the one in the link below, to make life better on my Gen1 when it comes to highway travel. Has anyone put one of these on, and had any success?

I am tired of the wind noise and buffeting from other, smaller aftermarket windscreens. I kind of wonder if I will simply be throwing good money after bad, because the FZ1's front fairing design may be inferior (too far forward, not enough streamlined surface area, OEM mirrors' design and location, ...) and wind noise and buffeting is inherent to it, and no aftermarket windshield will ever fix this. Unicorn, rocking horse poop kind of thing, if you get my drift. Not really wanting to go the FJR or C-14 route for relief just yet, because of their heft.

I am 5' 10.5", with a tallish torso, and wear an HJC RPHA 90 helmet.

https://rifle.com/Yamaha-FZ1-Fazer-T...-05-P2202.aspx
FZ1mjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

I'm just over 6', and I use the 20" Rifle in the winter. It does keep the windblast off my torso and chest, which really helps me stay warm, but trying to sit upright still sucks due to all the turbulent air. Even with the GT-Air, it wants to make my head flutter in the breeze. If it is cold and begins to rain, or if just raining hard, I can easily get behind this barn door for good protection, as long as the lower back and neck muscles can handle the strain.

If you want the smoothest air, cut down a stock shield and do the mirror swap (FuzzyOnes mirror mod). If you want really good wind protection, you'll need a different bike.

Otherwise I run a MRA Vario, with the adjustable upper lip. It doesn't do much, but it looks cool. I have found that when there are lots of bugs, I can flip the lip up for max deflection, hunker down a bit, and keep lots of splatter off my helmet visor.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Dean Dinnetz

I tried five different windscreens, and the MRA Vario with the wind flap, was the best of them all. Using a barn door, way too much side buffeting.

As mentioned, the o.e.m. front fairing is to low, and to far forward. Not a good shape for long distance touring. That being said, this last summer i did a five state, 4,000 mile tour on my 2001 FZ1, with others. Seemed to work out well, with the MRA Vario windscreen. Guess i am just use to it, after all these years.

I switch it from my 2002 to my 2001 FZ1, depending on which bike i take on a long tour.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Damascus

It's going to take a lot of trial and error. Eventually you'll find what works for you.

I personally have finally wised up and given up on trying to turn nakeds and/or sport bikes into tourers.
Past: 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100, 1999 Honda Valkyrie GL1500C, 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2000 H-D Sportster XL1200, 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000, 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, 2010 H-D Road King 103, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Present: 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #5
FZ1mjk

Thanks everyone for the replies to my post. After reading all of them, it looks like I'll stick with my current aftermarket screen. Zero Gravity. I still have the stocker, and may cut that one down, and do the mirrors mod. Won't cost me any money to do so. I'll save my money for tires!

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
bmidd
Throwing $$ at a BMW now.

My best results on Gen1s has been a cut down stocker, that let's your helmet do its job and cuts out the buffeting. I wear an RPHA 70 ST Vias.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #7
isleoman

We need a system like a Library where you can "take out" parts like a book and then return them 2 wks later. We could have a seat section. A screen section. A handle bar section.

If it weren't for those damn shipping costs.

I like the Yamaha Touring for colder temps but ditch it and go back to stock when temps get back over 65. Rare to see them come up as NOS anymore. However.....I checked through old posts and found the part no. ABA 5LV03 00 and found this seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/yamaha-FZ1-...oAAOSwoydWk7mC

The last one I bought was $85. $50 shipped for NOS is a good deal if it's tall enough for you. He had three left after I bought a spare.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:23 AM   #8
FZ1mjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
We need a system like a Library where you can "take out" parts like a book and then return them 2 wks later. We could have a seat section. A screen section. A handle bar section.
Yes, that would be nice. Handlebar and/or handlebar risers are next on my list. I have researched/searched those items here too. Those mods are on my To Do List. The person(s) that owned my bike before me, took off the stock bars, and replaced them with Rizoma handlebars, that through investigating its part number, I found are a low-version. Nice bars, but after a few years with them and owning another bike that has higher ones, I now know that this year I'm going to higher ones on the FZ1. However, it looks like I'll need to buy a new, longer brake line off of the MC, because the aftermarket SS-braided one that is currently on is almost as tight as a banjo string. I know it's off topic, but if anyone has suggestions on higher bars and/or risers, I am all ears.

Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post

If it weren't for those damn shipping costs....
Absolutely a great concept! Add helmets to the list too.
Neanderthal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #10
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Don't forget oil!!!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #11
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

I had a Fabrri which was pretty decent. But the best I found was upgrading to a FJR

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues