click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
grommet
kinetic mentality

School me on pool care

I recently bought a house with a pool. It's the first time I've ever had a pool I needed to take care of, and I know almost nothing about them.

The pool had not been opened when we bought the house, and it was not in bad condition when we opened it. The pump and filter and all seem to be working ok, though I'm a bit concerned the filter may be clogged with cottonwood film. It's running about 22 psi before and after I backwash it.

Now I'm having a bit of trouble with the green algae. Keeping the chlorine level right is tricky - I didn't realize how fast the chlorine goes away. I checked out Swim University, and got some good info there, but would like some first hand info from anyone who successfully does their own pool care.

So a couple of questions -

- How often do you add chlorine tablets, and how many do you put in? I put them in the canister on top of the return pipe risers. (BTW I have about 18,000 gallons)

- Other than chlorine, what chemicals do you add to keep it clean, clear, and safe? Everyone I've talked to says you have to take water samples to the pool supply store or you'll never get the right combination of chemicals, you'll buy what you don't need, you won't get it right, etc. Is it really that complicated?

- Do you use a robotic vacuum filter? If so, what kind (brand) do you use and what good/bad experience can you share about them?

- My skimmer baskets float and turn upside down, so I put a small rock in them to keep them down. Someone my wife talked to said that would prevent it from working right. I'm not sure how it would work at all if it's not down in the bottom of the well, and upside down, but . . . ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
jredford
Musical Metal

The best way to deal with it is fill it in with dirt and over seed.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
grommet
kinetic mentality

I've considered that. I'll give it a year or two at least, not quite ready to throw in the towel on it.

Is it like owning a boat? Happiest day of ownership and the second happiest day?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #4
Lickety Split

Not helpful I know but I would just hire a service and spend my time riding and swimming.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

Yes, it's like owning a boat. It's a hole in the back yard that you throw money into.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
grommet
kinetic mentality

4 years of pool care service would buy a number of decent bikes . . .

Old 06-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
reubswinks

I know quite a few people that have pools have been frustrated with trying to get the chemicals right and everything that's goes with it. Most have them have converted over to a salt chlorine generator system, and are much happier with everything. Seems to be a lot less work. Might be something worth looking into.
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/blog/...-5-easy-steps/
reubswinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

We had a pool in LA. In the valley, it makes sense—useable nearly all year, and completely necessary several months out of the year.

We paid a local guy to care for it. $95/mo, and he took care of all chemicals and scrubbed it once a week. Leaking something-or-other? He did the work as part of his retainer; sometimes I'd get charged for minimal parts but usually not. Once a year it'd be an extra $80 or so for a shock treatment.

All I ever had to do was the occasional skimming. It was lovely.

When we moved to MA, we made it a point to not get a pool. Just not enough of a season for the hassle.

-T
Todd S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
I recently bought a house with a pool. It's the first time I've ever had a pool I needed to take care of, and I know almost nothing about them.

The pool had not been opened when we bought the house, and it was not in bad condition when we opened it. The pump and filter and all seem to be working ok, though I'm a bit concerned the filter may be clogged with cottonwood film. It's running about 22 psi before and after I backwash it.

Now I'm having a bit of trouble with the green algae. Keeping the chlorine level right is tricky - I didn't realize how fast the chlorine goes away. I checked out Swim University, and got some good info there, but would like some first hand info from anyone who successfully does their own pool care.

So a couple of questions -

- How often do you add chlorine tablets, and how many do you put in? I put them in the canister on top of the return pipe risers. (BTW I have about 18,000 gallons)

- Other than chlorine, what chemicals do you add to keep it clean, clear, and safe? Everyone I've talked to says you have to take water samples to the pool supply store or you'll never get the right combination of chemicals, you'll buy what you don't need, you won't get it right, etc. Is it really that complicated?

- Do you use a robotic vacuum filter? If so, what kind (brand) do you use and what good/bad experience can you share about them?

- My skimmer baskets float and turn upside down, so I put a small rock in them to keep them down. Someone my wife talked to said that would prevent it from working right. I'm not sure how it would work at all if it's not down in the bottom of the well, and upside down, but . . . ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
I've had a pool for almost 30 years and the common belief that they are a PITA is way overblown. I almost didn't buy my house because I'd heard that it was just too much work. Not so.

First, what kind of pool is it (gunite, liner)? If it's gunite like mine is you need to keep the chemical levels where they need to be or the surface will get rough.

I use an inline automatic chlorinator - it was easy to install and keeps you from having to put tablets in all of the time. I fill it about every 2 weeks and run the pump every other day all day. You'll get a good feeling pretty quickly about what setting on it keeps the chlorine level where you want it. It has a dial that you adjust to control the output.

You can test the chemicals yourself with the 5 bottle kit. Just follow the directions. I take a sample to the pool store when I open the pool and every month or so during the summer. They'll tell you how much of what chemicals to add but in my experience once I've adjusted them in the spring it stays pretty constant after that as far as pH & alkalinity. Depending on the condition of the water you'll add pH up or pH down (acid) and you may use alkalinity up, especially if you have a gunite pool because they are more sensitive to alkalinity levels.

I used to have a robotic cleaner but I had to repair it about every 3 years so I threw it away. If I got another one I'd use a Kreepy Krauly but I actually enjoy vacuuming the pool. I put on headphones, listen to music and just relax. I know other pool owners who feel the same way.

As long as water can still freely flow through the baskets all is good. Mine floats until the water starts flowing and then it is sucked down.

If you have any other questions please ask. In the end I've enjoyed having a pool, especially when my kids were growing up. Our house was the place to be and I liked having them over, partly because I knew where my kids were and what they were doing. Now my SO's grandkids like to come over and play in it.

Give it a couple of years and you may enjoy it as much as I have.

edit: pay attention to the percentage of stabilized chlorine in the tablets. Cheap ones sometimes have a bunch of "filler", for lack of a better term and they don't do the water any good. Also, some chlorine shock has lots of "filler". I use liquid chlorine when I have to shock the pool, which I usually do after a lot of people have been in it for a party or something.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Yes, it's like owning a boat. It's a hole in the back yard that you throw money into.

W.A.
You know this from experience? Bummer.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Old 06-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
grommet
kinetic mentality

Thanks Cougar, that's very helpful.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #12
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Thanks Cougar, that's very helpful.
You are very welcome. I'm still curious: is it a liner or gunite pool? If it is a liner you'll have to replace it every 7 to 12 years. I've never done one but I have a friend who's replaced his 3 or 4 times and he says that he can do it himself without any problems. And he isn't all that handy of a guy. I had my gunite re-surfaced about 20 years ago and it is still in good shape.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #13
grommet
kinetic mentality

Mine is a gunite. Solid concrete-like stuff, white.

How often do you vacuum it?

And the automatic chlorinator you have - how many tablets per week do you go through?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Mine is a gunite. Solid concrete-like stuff, white.

How often do you vacuum it?

And the automatic chlorinator you have - how many tablets per week do you go through?
I keep the solar cover on most of the time and it keeps most leaves and stuff out so I don't have to vacuum that often, usually once a month or so. I don't know how many tablets per week but I don't usually use a whole big bucket per year.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #15
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

I found a solar cover a good way to keep the chemicals in and doing their job, too. But they're a PIA to remove. I went through two reels, each of which bent in the middle. 20x40' pool/cover was too much weight for most reels.

-T
Todd S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Another thing: in the spring long before you open the pool, put a gallon or 2 of chlorine in. That will prevent algae from growing while it gets warm. I have a 1 hp submersible pump and I put it in there to circulate the chlorine in the water. You'll want a pump anyway to drain it for the winter.

Also, if you begin to see algae, shock it immediately. It can get out of control in a hurry. I've had it happen to me twice. The first time I hit it with LOTS of chemicals and it was a huge mess. And expensive. The second time I just drained the pool and started over. I choose door number 2 Monty.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #17
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
I found a solar cover a good way to keep the chemicals in and doing their job, too. But they're a PIA to remove. I went through two reels, each of which bent in the middle. 20x40' pool/cover was too much weight for most reels.

-T
I went through a reel too and I got rid of it because it WAS a PITA. Now I just pull it out by hand and fold it over itself and store it under the deck. It takes 2 people but it comes out in a minute or two.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #18
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
I've considered that. I'll give it a year or two at least, not quite ready to throw in the towel on it.

Is it like owning a boat? Happiest day of ownership and the second happiest day?
It was for me, I did the upkeep and it never got used.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #19
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Knowing only how to cool off in one, down here in the heat several clients and friends use some salt method of treatment to ward off photosynthesis. They all use a service too.
The old people have filled them in.....shame.

I have a fantastic line of underwater speakers and the associated amps and hardware. If you drain it for maintenance or repair lets
Old 06-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #20
Cougar
Nerd Herder

I forgot to mention that, like in the spring, I pour 2 gallons of chlorine in when I close it.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion