click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Tax structure alternatives

So in honor of dropping off my taxes yesterday 5mkn before the post office closed, and having my first thread locked (still waiting on the t-shirt) what are your thoughts on the current tax structure in the US? I like the flat tax, but I like the idea of a national sales tax better. It would encourage savings, discourage "disposable societies" and would capture a lot of currently untaxed money (money generated from illegal activities) thoughts? And let's try and stay on topic.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
still_bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
discourage "disposable societies"

I'm not a big fan of any tax designed to alter the citizens behavior.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs

I used to think flat tax was a good idea until I realized that it meant middle class would have to pay more to make up the difference.

I don't know enough about a national tax. I think I heard once that it would need to be high, around 25% or more to replace income tax. As long as there were exceptions that reduced any disproportionate impact on the working poor, it might be okay.

With a small business, there's not much left after expenses and taxes. I can't help thinking I'm getting screwed each year because I'm not big enough and rich enough to avoid taxes like the wealthy. Strange how that works.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
drfous
Happy Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_bluenoser View Post
I'm not a big fan of any tax designed to alter the citizens behavior.
That's gonna cut down on political donations.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

I see a difference between citizens and consumers, not all citizens prescribe to the theory of buying low cost junk that will soon break, but it doesn't matter because it was so cheap and is easily replaced with more low cost junk.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

And as a side note aren't a lot of taxes in place to alter behavior? Cigarette tax, alcohol tax, fuel tax, etc.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

National sales tax would be high but there are already embedded taxes in products, so their prices would go down. Exemptions would be on basic essentials, but the easiest way to provide that fairly is a standard deduction for each person in a household.

Which would you prefer?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
dipps
administrator

i don't pretend to know the answers, but i got bent over/no lube this tax season, and am sick of this crap. hard-working, honest folk seem to get screwed more than anyone in this country. (end mini-rant)

i was reading up on this the other day.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...nsumption-tax/
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
motomania

Throw out the entire tax code. No deductions for anyone. If you make $1 you pay an income tax, even if only $0.01. Everyone must pay something. Even welfare is taxable income.

Replace the tax code with a flat tax.

Layoff the entire IRS
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
still_bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
And as a side note aren't a lot of taxes in place to alter behavior? Cigarette tax, alcohol tax, fuel tax, etc.

Under the guise of altering behavior.. Sin taxes are just easier to convince the public to let them increase their revenue by leaps and bounds.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
82packer
Shoe King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Oop View Post
I don't know enough about a national tax. I think I heard once that it would need to be high, around 25% or more to replace income tax. As long as there were exceptions that reduced any disproportionate impact on the working poor, it might be okay.
I'm betting the government would do just fine on 12% flat tax. I think it should be a flat tax (everyone). Hell I'd be willing to go 15-18% IF the extra money went towards the debt.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
ralphcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania View Post
Throw out the entire tax code. No deductions for anyone. If you make $1 you pay an income tax, even if only $0.01. Everyone must pay something. Even welfare is taxable income.

Replace the tax code with a flat tax.

Layoff the entire IRS
I would vote for you/this
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
drfous
Happy Warrior

Classic Rumsfeld

Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
dipps
administrator

sounds about right to me.
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
Old 04-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #15
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

That's my feeling exactly. It seems that they are vague specifically so they can interpret them at will for their benefit
Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

Our system screws the people that drive the economy forward.

And doesn't really help people that are struggling.

But I think the real problem is that it is too lopsided. Though that does benefit me.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
drfous
Happy Warrior

AMT. enough said.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

The tax structure as it is currently defined has a little something for everyone. Changing it to a flat tax will never happen as everyone has something to lose. There are also too many financial structures in place that exist just because the tax code is the way it is. Home ownership is possible for many because mortgage interest is deductible. People loan money to local municipalities because the interest income is tax free. Employee benefits are not taxed as income. Capital gains and qualified dividends are taxed at a lower rate to encourage investing. etc.

The problem is that taxes are just too high for everyone because the government is inserting itself up into those areas where it has no business being.

Pat
Old 04-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #19
Kburggibbs

I'm in favor of a progressive code with minimal deductions for personal income taxes. Of course, I don't know how much income is claimed at each level, but I imagine it looking something like this (%'s and ranges are open to adjustment; these are just for the example):

0% on first $50k of income, 2% on income >$50k to <$150k, 5% on income >$150 to <$400k, 10% on income >$400k to <$700k and 20% on all income >$700k.

So if you make $175k you would pay $0 on the first $50k, $2000 on the next $100k, and $1250 on the next $25k for a total liability of $3250 without any deductions.

If you make $1.5M your liability would be $204,500 (if I did the math right) without deductions.

Deductions would be limited to things like # of dependents, charitable donations, mortgage interest, education expenses, medical care (no minimum expenses required) and maybe a few others. HOWEVER, deductions would be capped at some number that makes sense, like $50k.

So the same $175k with >$50k in deductions, you will still have to pay 2% on $75k for a total liablity of $1500.

If you make $1.5M your liability is reduced very little because your only going to pay 20% of $50k less after deductions or $194,500.

But I'm conservative so I apparently need to give more tax breaks for the wealthy.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

From my POV, who is getting milked are the upper middle class. As fous said, the damned AMT.

But that's just the government trying to rake in enough money. If our society dolled out the money more evenly, it wouldn't be necessary.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Closed Thread

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion