click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues

Old 01-17-2020, 03:42 AM   #1
r1lew999

Checking Rotor

Hi All,
I've owned a 2008 FZ1 from new (20,000 miles) and only just discovered the potential issue with the rotor magnets detaching. I've had no issues with my bike at all but thought Id take a look and check the magnets and the bearings with a view to replacing anything. In the UK yamaha seem to want a rip off >600+vat so I was considering refixing the magnets if they were loose as in this excellent post:
https://www.r1-forum.com/threads/how...ebuild.591801/

I've stripped it down and the bearings are perfectly smooth with no play and the magnets are firmly fixed in a decent amount of glue. Ive tried picking them off with a tool and they wont budge.

The glue on mine looks different to that in the r1 post above too, more cream coloured and not yellow.

Given that I've had it 12 years and >20,000 miles and its all solid Im going to put it back together and not worry about it. Anyone else stripped theirs and found it totally solid? If so, have any gone on to fail afterwards?

Link to picture (I hope):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B5jKN71amYJ33vDo7
r1lew999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:04 AM   #2
fermic37

Ugh.

There is no checking for condition. It’s perfect. TILL IT FAILS.

The magnets could come off an hour after you checked it.

$350 now or $1000 after it eats itself. It’s up to you.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:26 AM   #3
r1lew999

Its apparent that the effect of the failure does not give any significant warning signs (noise or vibration) that enable the rider to prevent damage but there will be a cause for the failure.

My thinking is that the failure could be due to :
-Lack of glue or poor glue quality/adhesion resulting in them not being stuck firm in the first place (as suggested by the R1 repair post. His could be easliy picked off with his finger)?

-Bearing failure causing the magnets to contact the stator and break off.

-Glue breaks down over time or under high operating temperatures?

To check the last point I've heated the rotor to 120C (250F) and checked glue harness and adhesion again. Whilst it is possible to mark the surface of the glue with significant force, the magnets are still stuck solid and cant be levered off or moved.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JMUUh9iGBvgzqLMi9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uXC3Yk8D3XZg3kuc6

I hope someone finds this useful but I would be interested in anyone's specific experience of checking the magnets are firmly fixed and subsequently failing after this.

I have seen quite a few "it suddenly failed with no warning" type posts but been not seen anyone posting this after they have checked and tried to pry the magnets off.

Last edited by r1lew999; 01-17-2020 at 05:27 AM. Reason: picture links
Old 01-17-2020, 05:39 AM   #4
fermic37

there were some on FB, where the guys checked them and 1k later it ate itself.

there is no set reason, not its not the bearings because the bearings aren't always bad after the rotor goes, no its not due to age or heat since this has happened on almost new fz1s.

this topic has been beaten to death for 13 years, in the end the best solution is just to replace it before it breaks.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:43 AM   #5
fermic37

this company started making their own, cheaper than oem but similar design

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stator-Flyw...a559350216a0ee
Old 01-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #6
okrider

this company recently started following me on instagram, I was wondering why. It's probably because of the video I put up couple years ago.
2010 Yamaha R6
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Bearing failure, lol..... Im willing to bet that 99.9% of the failures are heat-induced epoxy-release of the magnets. Its then possible that a loose magnet could cause collateral damage. The bearings themselves get hit by oil splash and should service the bike a lifetime. Prudence dictates changing to the revised rotor design. It takes a considerable amount of proven or potential failure for an OEM to revise a component like this, if Yamaha engineering felt it necessary to change it, you should too. This isnt a marketing, cosmetic or government safety BS issue.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
r1lew999

Yeah I probably agree with you Neanderthal.

Thanks for that link to the Canadian rotor Fermic.

Have you had any experience of them okrider?

If they are good at that price Ill just change it.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1lew999 View Post
Have you had any experience of them okrider?
I changed my rotor with a Yamaha one back in the day, I haven't used their products before
2010 Yamaha R6
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
bmidd
Throwing $$ at a BMW now.

LOL, I guess you're all good then, you got the special, un-pryable magnet glue on yours. Just roll the dice and keep riding it. A few hundred R1 and FZ1 owners don't know what they're talking about.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #11
sloowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1lew999 View Post
To check the last point I've heated the rotor to 120C (250F) and checked glue harness and adhesion again. Whilst it is possible to mark the surface of the glue with significant force, the magnets are still stuck solid and cant be levered off or moved.
The oil in the sump can melt solder after prolonged riding on the highway. It doesn't take racetrack riding to cause this. That would seem to require your test to be repeated at a minimum of 177c. When you also take into consideration the heat generated in the magnets themselves, I would expect any realistic pass/fail test to be run at somewhere above 200c.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
MyYammi

I've got 18K on my 2009. After reading about what can happen. Seeing pics of the carnage after the magnets let go. I replaced mine with the new OEM updated rotor.
My original rotor was in perfect shape. I hate like hell to pull out & replace what seems to be a perfectly good part. I used to own a 2006 Aprilia Tuono. The stator would cook itself to death. Over the course of 4 years. I replaced the stator 3 times & the RR twice. And the thing still had issues. It's somebody else's problem now. If replacing the old rotor with the update solves any issues.? I'll take the financial hit & have good piece of mind. Reliability is just about priceless. New rotor installed & working perfectly. Many thanks to this forum for sharing information about the rotor issues.

Last edited by MyYammi; 02-03-2020 at 12:50 PM.
MyYammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
oldjeep

Guess I'm glad that when the magnets on a Suzuki go that they just slide around and cause low voltage. Then you just jam some JB weld between them to re-space them and you are back in business
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1882.jpg (119.9 KB, 59 views)
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #14
Bunk

Second time ive heard of someone 'checking' their rotor today.

Faith in humanity 100% lost.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #15
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Guess I'm glad that when the magnets on a Suzuki go that they just slide around and cause low voltage. Then you just jam some JB weld between them to re-space them and you are back in business
And then one of the magnets self destructs. Oops new flywheel on the way.
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #16
9Lives

So I have finally decided to replace my rotor with a upgraded one. The parts are on their way from partshark.

I have it apart and am just waiting for the rotor, gasket and O-rings.

Has anyone tried to assemble this by installing the rotor on the stator, then install as an assembly. It might be easier that fighting with the magnets the other way. You can jog the gears by putting it in gear then jogging the rear tire to help align the gears. There is an O-ring in the spacer that butts up to the the inner bearing, I ordered a new one in hopes it will hold the spacer on the shaft better that the old one. I think it might work this way, or am I missing something that would prevent this?
9Lives is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues