read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 07-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Wonger

Need some new boots

My Sidi Rain boots have taken a turn after 10 years. It's time for a replacement set of the unicorn boots (which these weren't quite there). I would just resole them if I hadn't been lazy on the pegs and dragged the leather toes multiple times. I would trade some comfort for more protection this time.

I have a pair of AStars Toucans for adventure riding, but for street commuting/sport touring/possibly wet weather riding I'm needing a good option.

I have a pair of Sidi Mag-1's for sport riding and I like the protection, but the same size boot as the Sidi Rain's kills my left pinky toe in the Mag-1's, even with very thin socks. I think it is the protected toe box. Anything more than an hour and it's pretty rough with a blister and/or bruise. I like the ease of donning and removing the Sidi's over the AStars bootie design, but I'm looking for another option that could be on the slightly wider side of the scale. I like the idea of erring no the side of more protection than not enough.

I'm not trying to be snobbish here either, but I'm not interested in TCX or Forma here, only because I don't think they are quite up to par yet with build quality or longevity.

I've been looking at the the AStars SMX-S or SMX-6/Plus since they have more protection, but I'm curious as to what others are using.
There's also a pair of BMW-branded boots called the Sport Dry which are interesting. I think BMW boots are made by Dainese. I know they RR boots they had were as they were the Under the Leather design that Velcro's to the inside of the leathers ala Rossi. The downside here is I have no way of trying these on prior to purchasing.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

I'm pretty hard on street boots and replace them every 4-5 years.

Surprised about the TCX not up to par comment. They're my goto for street and track as they run slightly wider than other brands and I need that. For street would rather have the TCX XFive than anything but the Sidis at less than half the price get the job done.

Sidi Tour Rain and Sidi Black Rains are on sale at motorcyclegear.com for a song at the moment.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
_Will_

I’ve got he same pinky toe issue with the Sidi roar boots. I tried on some of the A stars line a while back and was impressed with how quickly I felt at home in them, the SMX line will probably be my next boot.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
I'm pretty hard on street boots and replace them every 4-5 years.

Surprised about the TCX not up to par comment. They're my goto for street and track as they run slightly wider than other brands and I need that. For street would rather have the TCX XFive than anything but the Sidis at less than half the price get the job done.

Sidi Tour Rain and Sidi Black Rains are on sale at motorcyclegear.com for a song at the moment.
The TCX may work, but my riding buddy only had one pair and they died pretty quickly. I thought about their casual TCX Hero WP for around town, as well, but they are just a style piece, with zero ankle support, only a piece of foam. Not really relevant to this discussion, but that was my carryover impression.
I appreciate your input, so I'll give them another look as well. Does me not liking Cal Crutchlow factor in? maybe...

I thought about just getting another pair from Motorcyclegear like you mentioned, but I guess I'm looking for a bit more protection this time around. Definitely would like to have a toe slider on these, although I think I may drag the center stand on the S1000XR before my toes could scrape.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
okrider

If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait for winter when sales/closeouts happen. Snagged a pair of TCX S-Sportour Evo Air boots in December for $80. Very comfy boots
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
Wonger

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to purchase pretty soon. I just needed a different size on the Mag-1's really. I'm going to post them up here in the hopes that someone else can use them. They are great, but I wouldn't mind a waterproof boot as well. My biggest draw to them is how quickly you can put them on and take them off, unlike AStars or other boot-type liners. I also like the toe vent. I bought them earlier this year, so I can't return them now.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

I’ve been loving my Sidi vortice air boots. As you said, only downside is how long the sidis take to put on, but I’m okay with that if I’m getting a extremely protective boot. I’d love to have a pair of both the goretex and air vortices. But for now, I’ll just stick to getting wet feet when it rains.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
Definitely would like to have a toe slider on these, although I think I may drag the center stand on the S1000XR before my toes could scrape.
toe sliders come in handy.... my big feet have used them a couple times. It's quite jarring, but I imagine it would be even more so without the sliders.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
glory racing

Kinda ironic but for wide boots the TCX and Forma's are always mentioned as being wider than most others. Sidi's are usually on the slim side. I think the tourmaster solution boots are available in a wide but have never tried them. Currently have both tcx and forma's in the closet. Both have functioned well.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
bradd
Working away

A*'s smx waterproof. Went back to them after straying and very happy with them.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
regder

I really like my Dainese TRQ-Tour I picked up earlier this year. Very good ankle support, and goretex for the wet weather. No toe sliders though if that's a must. I think Dainese sells a pair with sliders, don't know the model though

My previous BMW All-Rounds were made by TCX and lasted about five years before they started to leak, boots themselves were still in good condition. Got a refund from goretex through their lifetime warranty, gave the All-Round's away once I got through the warranty process. Before those had a set of Oxtar SS something, that was before they changed their name to TCX, those lasted about five years too. TCX isn't anything to sneeze at.

Whatever you get, I would aim for goretex. Lifetime waterproof guarantee, if they leak, goretex will either replace them or refund you the full purchase price.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #12
Skiman
Renaissance Man

Wonger- I see your in Georgia, so this idea might not be possible for you. I've taken an old pair of SIDI motocross boots and had a ski shop modify them with excellent results. You just describe exactly where you need a little extra room. Ski shops do this all the time for ski boots, which have hard shells.
Skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
barryc

Crocs 👍
Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by regder View Post
I really like my Dainese TRQ-Tour I picked up earlier this year. Very good ankle support, and goretex for the wet weather. No toe sliders though if that's a must. I think Dainese sells a pair with sliders, don't know the model though

My previous BMW All-Rounds were made by TCX and lasted about five years before they started to leak, boots themselves were still in good condition. Got a refund from goretex through their lifetime warranty, gave the All-Round's away once I got through the warranty process. Before those had a set of Oxtar SS something, that was before they changed their name to TCX, those lasted about five years too. TCX isn't anything to sneeze at.

Whatever you get, I would aim for goretex. Lifetime waterproof guarantee, if they leak, goretex will either replace them or refund you the full purchase price.
Does the material on the back of the leg bother you? I tried on the Nexus boots, but I didn't like the folded up material on the back of my calf. I wear the boots under pants almost exclusively. Also the zipper got stuck the second time I tried them, so I just put them back. I like the way they fit though.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #15
regder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
Does the material on the back of the leg bother you? I tried on the Nexus boots, but I didn't like the folded up material on the back of my calf. I wear the boots under pants almost exclusively. Also the zipper got stuck the second time I tried them, so I just put them back. I like the way they fit though.
I did get a rash on the back of my calf the first month or so, but that has gone away as the boots have broken in. I have walked a few hours at a time in them without issue.

They are getting a bit squeaky at the pivot, will need to figure out what to lube them with. The excellent ankle support makes up for it.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear