register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
allanscott

slipon pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_RC_1 View Post
Your bike is look'n gooood. I love the looks of all the Mivv slipons.

Gotta wonder if that odd mid-pipe realy makes a difference. I know what Mivv claims but I'd love to see dyno runs with a normal midpipe vs. Mivv.

Anyway, if I were to buy a high dollar slipon, the Mivv GP or Suono would be my choice just for the looks. To bad they don't make a full system for the FZ1.

Hmmm, $460 for an arrow header + $510 for Mivv Suono..... One of these days
How about LV1evo2 carbon or stainless from Leo Vince I saw the stainless for 339.00 with free shipping, those pipes sound great.

Last edited by allanscott; 04-02-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: grammer
allanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
Phil_RC_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanscott View Post

How about LV1evo2 carbon or stainless from Leo Vince I saw the stainless for 339.00 with free shipping, those pipes sound great.
Yeah, that Leo looks great too. Even though I prefer the Suono, I got a good deal on a used GP Carbon from Rafartist Can't wait to get it on.
My FZ1 was stolen July, 21, 2013. If you see a Cobalt blue 09 with all of the following mods, contact me or the authorities. MIVV Carbon GP, Gutted Cat, FP V-Stacks, Air box mod, 16T, PCIII w/Ivans map, Ivan's Flies, AEM A/F monitor, Blindspots fuel line mod. Soupy's lowering link, Speedohealer, AIS blockoff, ZG SR windscreen, 12volt power port, cig lighter, Top speed recall button, FZ6 handlebars, Plate Brake light, Reflective wheel stripes. PICTURE LINK
Phil_RC_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
rafartist

Phil you should have it friday or saturday at the latest in case you didn't get my email. I cant see you being dissapointed with it and Abe57 and Black Hornet will vouch for the condition, i just rode with those guys 2 weeks ago. I didn't get a chance to scotch brite it but i cleaned it up real good with the hose and a rag outside. It was getting late and i wanted to have it boxed up and ready to go to the post office first thing in the morning for you. Thanks again for being patient man and if you ever need anything dont hesitate to ask.
And for anyone that doesn't know this guy, he is a straight shooter and a valuable asset to the board. Cant ask for any more patience than this guy has. I had a terrible time with shipping on the V&H and he paid and waited 2 weeks on me.
07 lineX'd,Dan Moto modded pipe,no flies,chopped box,Tag metals copper bars with SV mounts,HEL lines,punched cat,delrin sliders,15t,no o2,no exup,swingarm mounted tag,hidden key switch,smoke taillight,integrated mirrors,bark busters,Hayabusa headlamp,custom made guage bracket,wrapped headers,pc111 with stage 3 smoothed map,06 R1 forks brakes and shock,08 r1 dog bone to raise the rear,fce,copper shorty levers,soon to be bare bars except for clutch lever and brake setup
rafartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #24
Phil_RC_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafartist View Post
Phil you should have it friday or saturday at the latest in case you didn't get my email. I cant see you being dissapointed with it and Abe57 and Black Hornet will vouch for the condition, i just rode with those guys 2 weeks ago. I didn't get a chance to scotch brite it but i cleaned it up real good with the hose and a rag outside. It was getting late and i wanted to have it boxed up and ready to go to the post office first thing in the morning for you. Thanks again for being patient man and if you ever need anything dont hesitate to ask.
And for anyone that doesn't know this guy, he is a straight shooter and a valuable asset to the board. Cant ask for any more patience than this guy has. I had a terrible time with shipping on the V&H and he paid and waited 2 weeks on me.
I picked it up Saturday. It looks great. I guess I'm now a MIVV GP guy too. Robert, I will do business with you anytime!!

My subjective view is that with the dB insert out, it's a tad louder with a deeper tone then my 14" Delkevic (Which was just right!!), but still not too loud. The insert is just waaayyyy too quiet!! If, over time, the loudness gets to me, I may try to modify the insert with a shorter and larger diameter outlet to quieten it a little but not too much.

Compared to my Delkevic, I think the GP has a top-end power advantage,,, the front wheel just comes up too easy at 8K
My FZ1 was stolen July, 21, 2013. If you see a Cobalt blue 09 with all of the following mods, contact me or the authorities. MIVV Carbon GP, Gutted Cat, FP V-Stacks, Air box mod, 16T, PCIII w/Ivans map, Ivan's Flies, AEM A/F monitor, Blindspots fuel line mod. Soupy's lowering link, Speedohealer, AIS blockoff, ZG SR windscreen, 12volt power port, cig lighter, Top speed recall button, FZ6 handlebars, Plate Brake light, Reflective wheel stripes. PICTURE LINK

Last edited by Phil_RC_1; 04-08-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #25
Phil_RC_1

Don't mean to hijack your thread dr dralion, but instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd post here since my Q's and Comments are about the same pipe.

Rode into work Monday without the dB insert. After a few minutes, I decided it was just too loud, barely, but still louder then I'm comfortable with. Monday night I installed the dB insert, now it's just way too quiet and it has to be stiffling the exhaust flow to an unhealthy degree. I cut the downturn off (about 1.5") of the dB pipe and it has to be flowing better but still too quiet, barely louder then stock!! I think my next step will be to cut out the small 1" diameter outlet pipe, and weld in a 1.75"Dia. pipe shaped similar to the original. Hopefully this will let it breath better, without getting too loud.

Anyone else mucked around with modifying the dB insert on the carbon GP?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

What is this 'too loud' condition you keep talking about?
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
CopperDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_RC_1 View Post
Anyone else mucked around with modifying the dB insert on the carbon GP?
I did about the same as you have described but for slightly different reasons. With my db killer out the bike has a waivering idle but that is, as I understand it, because I have the original straight-thru mid pipe without those two resonators. I cut the end off of the insert to where you describe and the idle is smooth but I was considering doing what you mention about a larger insert pipe but I have not done it yet.
CopperDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #28
rafartist

I considered it Phil but it was too dang pretty to take the chance for me to "cut" it up. I wonder if you could get like one of those cone shaped spark arrestors (screen type) that they use to make dirt bikes legal and tack that screen onto the db killer after you hollowed the whole thing out? Now that this V&H has broken in, its loud as hell and im considering modifying the db killer too that came with it. Its real close to sounding like a ghetto ass Hayabusa with the slash cut tip as a muffler. I love the sound cause it really sounds like a Moto GP bikes pipe but I hate hearing un muffled harleys and sport bikes with ridiculous sounding exhausts. I always rode with earplugs Phil so I never really noticed how loud the Mivv was.
07 lineX'd,Dan Moto modded pipe,no flies,chopped box,Tag metals copper bars with SV mounts,HEL lines,punched cat,delrin sliders,15t,no o2,no exup,swingarm mounted tag,hidden key switch,smoke taillight,integrated mirrors,bark busters,Hayabusa headlamp,custom made guage bracket,wrapped headers,pc111 with stage 3 smoothed map,06 R1 forks brakes and shock,08 r1 dog bone to raise the rear,fce,copper shorty levers,soon to be bare bars except for clutch lever and brake setup
Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #29
Phil_RC_1

Modded dB insert

I finally got around to modifying the Mivv dB insert. First I tried just cutting the insert because the way it is bent, the opening of the insert was close to parrallel with the sidewall of the muffler. There was probably only a 1/2" or so of clearance, plus the little 1.2" pipe is so small, this had to be killing performance, and it was no louder then stock.

I decided to replace the original 1.2" pipe with a 1.75" pipe and use a milder bend. I used a holesaw to cut a wooden insert for the pipe to hold the larger holesaw center. I used a bimetal holesaw to cut the 1.75" hole then welded in a piece of 1.75" pipe. As it is now, the new dB insert just knocks the edge off the sound of the Mivv. It's still a little louder then my old Delkevic 13" but just barely. The loudness of the Mivv with the modded insert is juuuuust right! .

Old 04-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #30
rafartist

Thats awesome Phil
Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #31
Kman719

Looks good. May give that a try later this summer. Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Question:

So when you removed the midpipe and disconnected the EXUP did you leave your EXUP cables? Or do you go up to the Servo motor under the tank and disconnect and take them out completely?

I'm about to my my Carbon MIVV on this weekend and just wanted to see what the majority is doing.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #33
Fizzman
No tickets today!

The cables come off in about three seconds. Why leave them on? The Exup motor can stay. If you remove it with out plugging in an exup eliminator, you will get a check engine light.

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R
Fizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #34
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzman View Post
The cables come off in about three seconds. Why leave them on? The Exup motor can stay. If you remove it with out plugging in an exup eliminator, you will get a check engine light.
That is what I did. I followed Copperdawgs video which was perfect. This thing sounds perfect with the Db killer, although my pipe is a different shape (oval with conical end) than the OP's. eventually I'll put an Arrow header on with it.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #35
rkt jky
wanna buy a vowel?

i took off a dale walker to put a mivv carbon gp on my gen 1, put a mivv carbon gp twin on my r1 and my gen 2 had one on when i bought it; didn't mind paying up for that. my first two came from pj, i don't know if the third one did. yeah i am a mivv fanboy. and i have always ditched the db killer.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #36
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I also preferred how it revved with he DB killer removed, it felt "stifled" or restrained with it in. Is that possible?
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #37
rkt jky
wanna buy a vowel?

obviously, if you restrict a 2.5 inch tube to a 1.5 inch opening you will hinder the flow of gasses especially at top end. that is why a 12L diesel motor has a 6 inch exhaust pipe. yeah it only revs to 2200 rpm but each cylinder is 2L displacement. and just for fun the turbo produces 26 psi of boost... too bad the truck weighs 16 tons :/
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #38
Void

I have one of these (Mivv CF GP) for sale in the classifieds. I modded my stock DB killer in a similar fashion by cutting the angled tip off as you did. I also added "slits" to the remaining tube section using a dremel and a cutting wheel. This way there is a bit more flow and sound. Tames the Mivv down enough to keep the neighborhood happy yet still plenty loud at WOT.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #39
kitcrazy

fueling

Hi guys do you have to have the fueling done afther installing the mivv or any dyno?
kitcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #40
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcrazy View Post
Hi guys do you have to have the fueling done afther installing the mivv or any dyno?
No.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance