register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques

Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #61
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakyne View Post
OFF TOPIC QUESTION:

My chain is slack AGAIN!! This will be the 3rd time it needs adjusting in 4000km. There are only 2 marks left on the swingarm to tighten chain with.. Is it a sign of a old chain? How far can i adjust the chain? Last adjustment was about 1000km ago. I know NOTHING about chains, except how to make it tighter..
I'll give you a hint, chains are worn out long before you reach the end of adjustment. Hell, with my sprockets a brand new chain I'm almost off the edge of the adjustment range new.

http://yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105290

Businesses love a working server, don't trust India, see an IT admin and get rid of it.
Blind Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #62
Dakyne

Yeah im definitely new to this. Im gona go check out different suspension settings and tyre pressures this weekend and "see" what feels better.
Thx for the suggestions terdog
Dakyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #63
ReconViper1
Backroad Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog View Post
Hmm. How is that manual working out with the "reccomended" torque figures for the rear axle?

Useing your logic, your higher pressure is actually reduceing the contact patch. I guess your not all that up on your tire love as you think you are, eh?
If you look at a motorcycle tire tread surface, and that may be a new concept, the surface is not flat; it is curved from sidewall to sidewall. It is not flat, edge to edge, as for a car.

The internal pressure will have little to do with changing the profile or changing contact patch but much to do with providing the sidewalls with the stability of keeping the tread in contact with the road surface without allowing change in the relative positions of wheel and tread and without creating the heat generated by low pressures.

On the other hand, we can all inflate our tires to 10psi and go road racing with a full contact patch.

You can lead a horse to water...........but you can't make them use spell-check.
ReconViper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #64
ZachD
My life is my message!!

If the rear wheel of your FZ1 doesn't slip or slid/spin a bit under hard acceleration (leaned over or upright) on a regular basis then you're not riding it hard enough... Especially over painted lines, wet pavement, dirty pavement, etc.. I always enjoy a good controlled, intentional slide every now & then

The key is to sliding the rear wheel is to continue to give it enough throttle input, to avoid a high-side & to maintain your intended direction of travel..
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #65
terdog

Whatever ...

Why are you starting a pissing match with me?

I'll tell you what. You go your way, and Ill go mine.
terdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #66
Fizzman
No tickets today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Spot View Post
I've 'pushed' the bike back up from a slide with a knee puck before.... at least, that's what it felt like, not sure if it was actually part of what lead to the recovery or not.
That is cool.

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R
Fizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #67
bergs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakyne View Post
Yeah im definitely new to this. Im gona go check out different suspension settings and tyre pressures this weekend and "see" what feels better.
Thx for the suggestions terdog
Make small changes, one at a time.

Too many changes at once and you've lost your baseline.
bergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #68
Dakyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergs View Post
Make small changes, one at a time.

Too many changes at once and you've lost your baseline.
Thx ill make sure i have a baseline to work from.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #69
NoJoke
Cleverly Disguised As A Squid

Rear of my bike stepped out on Sunday. Still a little used to the FZ6R (See the apex, grab as much throttle as you can) and came on to it a little harder than I should have. That being said, I was riding pretty moderately, in town. Doubt I was revving more than 3500 in 2nd gear. Reflexively, I chopped the throttle, and hung inside to keep my track. Lucky I didn't highside. I know to feather the throttle, control the slide, and regain control deliberately, but theory usually gets tossed in favor of reflex when you get surprised. That's why you practice practice practice so your reflexexes are tuned to make the right move when you need to. BTW, this bike has A LOT of friggin' power!
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #70
rmzalbar

Instinctively putting my leg down in a rear-end slide earned me a crash, a very bad complex of hip/femur fractures requiring hours of surgery and metal implants.

Every time I think about it, I wish I had kept it on the pegs. It would have just been a relatively brutal low-side that I'd have walked from. Also, I wish I hadn't decided to STAB BOTH BRAKES while throwing the bike sideways and while passing over thick white painted lines in the friggin' RAIN.

Actually, I did walk from this one, about 3 steps before I noticed my left leg wouldn't support me. I looked down to see what was wrong and saw my foot pointing 90 degrees to the right.

Problem is, I don't know how to know if I've retrained my reflexes. I don't think I'd repeat the leg-kick in a rear slide, but I can't be really sure and it doesn't sound fun to practice. I plan to pick up an advanced MSF course in the near future, and/or some dirt bike riding.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #71
dingbat
Arc Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws Justice View Post
No, that is what will cause a Highside.
Yup. I've done this. Bike stood right up underneath me pointed to the outside of a right hand sweeper on a secondary highway. Luckily, no traffic was coming the other way and I managed to ride it out in the ditch on the other side (sort of).
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #72
RavenRider
Old But Not Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconViper1 View Post
If you look at a motorcycle tire tread surface, and that may be a new concept, the surface is not flat; it is curved from sidewall to sidewall. It is not flat, edge to edge, as for a car.

The internal pressure will have little to do with changing the profile or changing contact patch but much to do with providing the sidewalls with the stability of keeping the tread in contact with the road surface without allowing change in the relative positions of wheel and tread and without creating the heat generated by low pressures.

You can lead a horse to water...........but you can't make them use spell-check.
Well I've been following this thread for a while.

Hmmmmm

Some misconceptions I think.

True, a motorcycle tire is not flat........

But, where the rubber and the road meet, especially when under load, the contact patch is no longer round, but becomes quite flat at that spot.

And true, higher pressure will reduce this to some degree and reduce heat, which will prolong tire life, WHILE also reducing the traction to some degree as well.

For hard charging, depending on the extremes (high speed) a bit lower pressures will usually give more traction.
This has been gone over many times in other threads.
One thing though.
Different tires react differently to changes in pressures.

Mich tires have a habit of getting greasy if run low.

Soooo, you need to know your tires and it may be worth the effort to call the company and ask a tech what rpessures they recommend for a particular application.

Touring.........
Sport riding.....
Track day........
Etc.............

JM2C
Traxxion Dynamics Installation & Service - Minnesota
651-304-7286
RavenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #73
Dakyne

I was driving in the rain few days ago, as i passed a car i gave her too much throttle and the rear started spinning and move side ways, as soon as i could feel my lower body twisting i dipped the throttle {not sure if i closed it all the way} and opened it lesser than it was when the slide occured. The back wheel quickly went back behind the front wheel.

This is not the first time I experience this and each time i have managed to control it in this way.. my natural instinct. What I want to know is... Is this the correct way?

Thank you
Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #74
terdog

I would say that your lucky other than good.

Riding offroad teaches you over and over that you need to keep the throttle on.

Yrs ago, Im riding my CR250, neck & neck with another. We're riding through a tight section of woods, its a 180 right hander that goes on forever and the ground is silt. Im on the outside and the tire lights up so bad, that the bike is allmost to full lock. I kept the gas on, adjusting enough to keep her spining but not enough to get out of control.

I rode it out and the guys behind us got quite the show. Admittedly, it was more instinct than skill.

Riding dirt has saved my butt sooo many times on the street.
terdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques