register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Jackfz104

Head gasket and...

So i picked up my first fz1 today. I got it pretty cheap, but it has a couple problems. The main one being it needs a new head gasket, so it just pours coolant and hisses when you turn the bike over/while bike is running. Another issue i see with it is when you start it would have to play with the idle screw to get it to start. I was planning on bringing it to a friend that works on bikes for the HG and have him adjust my valves, is there any thing else i should have him look at? EXUP valve? also can't find the choke, I don't know if this is my fault or if the PO did something. bike has just over 30K miles on it
Thanks in advanced
the bike:

Last edited by Desmo; 04-05-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Jackfz104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Jackfz104

I also want to clarify that it's my head gasket that's leaking. would a blown head gasket cause such a major leak? It's a very strong leak, like within a couple seconds of it running its already steaming and leaving a nice puddle, after you shut the bike off it hisses and eventually stops leaking, i will go take some pics when i get a chance.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
grommet
I got my answer from my brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackfz104 View Post
So i picked up my first fz1 today. I got it pretty cheap, but it has a couple problems. The main one being it needs a new head gasket, so it just pours coolant and hisses when you turn the bike over/while bike is running.

I also want to clarify that it's my head gasket that's leaking. would a blown head gasket cause such a major leak?
Yes, a blown head gasket could cause a leak such as you describe. Seeing where the coolant is getting out will tell you the source of the leak. If it hisses while turning over it's almost certainly the gasket, as it takes several minutes for the cooling system to build pressure from heat enough to start a leak like that.

Based on the possibility of a blown gasket, I recommend that you stop running it. There is a very good chance that you are introducing coolant into your engine oil. While it can safely run for a short time like that, eventually it will lead to severe engine damage. How long that takes is unknown, but it's best to stop immediately and correct the problem.

Quote:
Another issue i see with it is when you start it would have to play with the idle screw to get it to start. I was planning on bringing it to a friend that works on bikes for the HG and have him adjust my valves, is there any thing else i should have him look at? EXUP valve?
This, plus the gasket issue, plus the paint and body work on the bike suggest a previous owner that tinkered heavily with the bike. If you do not have the experience and skill to quickly identify and correct this, I suggest taking it to a professional mechanic. Don't worry about the EXUP valve for now. If it has problems they can be addressed later. Focus on the biggest most obvious problems first.

Quote:
also can't find the choke, I don't know if this is my fault or if the PO did something.
It's not your fault, unless you accidentally cast a spell on the choke and made it disappear. Here is a picture of the choke lever. It is sometimes referred to as the enricher.

If that is your BMW in the picture, you probably have the cash for a better solution. Not trying to be a jerk, or rain on the parade of the bike you just bought, but you are most likely in for a laundry list of issues with this bike. I'd part it out, and buy another one in better shape. There are several to be had on this forum in much better condition. You could easily get one for $3500. With whatever you already have in this one and what you are most likely going to spend on repairs, you'll probably be ahead by parting this one out and getting a better one, and it will be a lot less headache and time wasted.

See this link for an idea of how to price things if you part it out. These prices are pretty reasonable and your parts will move if you price them accordingly. Do the math and see what you could end up with for all the parts. It's worth considering.

I've since not crashed many times.
grommet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Jackfz104

that picture was taken from at the guys house, I wish i had a BMW
i paid 1800 for it, and besides this leak it doesn't seem to have been neglected. I got a qoute on fixing the head gasket, adjusting the valves, and cleaning the carbs for $700 parts and labor. it hasn't been ran much since the leak started, I have only started it once and let it run for about 2 minutes, and the previous owner parked it right when it first started.
Heres some pictures, I think it's more than a head gasket that's leaking:

Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Blind Spot
Represent

Coolant leak from that pipe plus weeping oil from valve cover?

Nevermind, saw green below next to the exhaust port.

http://yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105290

Businesses love a working server, don't trust India, see an IT admin and get rid of it.
Blind Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Jackfz104

nothing is leaking from the valve cover, everything is happening below the headers
Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
kvcobra

From the look of it, your engine probably don't match the frame. He probably sold his good engine and slap a crappy one in to sell the bike as a whole. That silver engine is an 01-03 and the black frame is 04-05. If you wan a great experience of bike ownership, go with Grommet recommendation otherwise you may hate bike for a very long time. What you have is a very BIG problem to tackle an then who knows how many minor ones you may have after that. Good luck with the project...
kvcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Jackfz104

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvcobra View Post
From the look of it, your engine probably don't match the frame. He probably sold his good engine and slap a crappy one in to sell the bike as a whole. That silver engine is an 01-03 and the black frame is 04-05. If you wan a great experience of bike ownership, go with Grommet recommendation otherwise you may hate bike for a very long time. What you have is a very BIG problem to tackle an then who knows how many minor ones you may have after that. Good luck with the project...
Uh oh, about the frame why does my id number say its an 03? and the title says 03... chop shop bike?

EDIT: i did some searching, and every 2003 i see has a black frame, what you talkin bout?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvcobra View Post
The non "Bee" FZ1's in 2003, had silver engines, with black frames. My favorite combo, if i had a choice.
Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Jackfz104

I think I'm going to risk it, and just get it fixed. Hopefully nothing else major is wrong with it. The bike is honestly very clean everywhere else.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
grommet
I got my answer from my brain.

Hope it works out well for you. If you let us know where you are, chances are someone knows of a decent shop you could go to. Also tell us a bit about your history with bikes. People here can guide you much better if they have an idea of where you are coming from.

The FZ1 is known for being a very tough bike. Engine, tranny, etc are long-lasting and strong, with 100,000 or even 200,000 miles on them. Not sure if you noticed, but we have a member here on the forum that just turned over 200K. She's had no major engine problems - just done regular maintenance and the bike is going strong. Burns a bit of oil now but otherwise in good shape. Get your bike in shape and then take care of it. You won't be disappointed.

Check out the sites linked up in the upper right corner of every page. Tons of good information there. Also use the search button. Hundreds of posts on just about every subject. When you exhaust those, ask questions. There are many knowledgeable and helpful people here on the forum. You can learn a lot and there's nothing you'll encounter that someone else hasn't already written about.

Once you get sorted, come join one the group rides. There are several around the USA each year. These are real people; good people. Meet some of them and you'll have new friends.

I've since not crashed many times.
grommet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
diehli
Gorilla, esoteric

If an AIS block off was done & the crankcase breather was blocked in the process, that could be the cause of the head gasket leak.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
Jackfz104

I grew up on dirt bikes, mostly yamahas, my first street bike was an fzr600, but I always wanted a touring bike related to a super sport so when one popped up within my very low price range, I couldn't resist. I was either gettin the fz or a dogged out 92 zx1100.

I'm good enough with a wrench, but I am scared to do the head gasket myself, maybe if it wasn't so nice out I'd try it.
I live about an hour from Winchester va and about two hours from Fredrick md, I decided to bring the bike to a Yamaha dealer near me, but if someone has a trust worthy shop in the area, I'm all ears. Thanks a lot for the suggestions
Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
Slim Johnson
I poop a lot

Since you are having to replace the head gasket, you may want to swap it with an R1 head gasket. It will bump the compression, and since you have to do it anyhow...
A 200 will fit on the rim... a buick engine will fit in the frame... a dummy will fit on the seat....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo
"Brakes only serve to slow you down".
Slim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
Jackfz104

Ya I just don't know if the dealership will warranty it if I make them use the r1 gasket, do you think they still will? Do you have to have anything else done when you do the r1 gasket? I know it changes the timing and bump up the compression a little but that's about it
Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Johnson View Post
Since you are having to replace the head gasket, you may want to swap it with an R1 head gasket. It will bump the compression, and since you have to do it anyhow...

Not meaning to thread jack, but do you have to do any other internal work to use the R1 head gasket? How much does this bump compression?

Back on topic...

By the way, I am in Richmond, VA. Not sure that's real close to you, but I would be happy to help if needed.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #17
fz1pone
NK! F**K YEAH!

are you sure about the head gasket? from the pictures it looks like it's coming from the external plumbing for the cooling system. overhauling that, along with the water pump, might address the issue. unless you have some other reason to suspect the head gasket. it's still a fair amount of work.

anyway, if you have leaks there, i don't think a new head gasket will fix it.
fz1pone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #18
Slim Johnson
I poop a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan998 View Post
Not meaning to thread jack, but do you have to do any other internal work to use the R1 head gasket? How much does this bump compression?

Back on topic...

By the way, I am in Richmond, VA. Not sure that's real close to you, but I would be happy to help if needed.
I think you just have to readjust the cam timing, and that's it.. RavenRider, and Ivan have both used the R1 gasket, and IIRC, it bumps the compression from 12.x to 13.x.
A 200 will fit on the rim... a buick engine will fit in the frame... a dummy will fit on the seat....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo
"Brakes only serve to slow you down".
Slim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #19
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Johnson View Post
I think you just have to readjust the cam timing, and that's it..
You don't have to do that to run the R1 head gasket. The FZ1 cam timing difference between the stock and R1 head gasket is miniscule. I've had the R1 head gasket now for ~30,000 miles and didn't alter the cam timing. My FZ1 runs great - noticeable more pull now than before the R1 headgasket.
arkie6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
FZ1 in MIA

Just buy a motor and be done with it. Swap it out yourself.

Here is a really clean one for $900 with free shipping!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Yamaha-...item2a1bc81ddd

FZ1 in MIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues