register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories

Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
fleetguy

Demon Shield...?

Is anyone running or had experience with the Demon Shield as discussed in iowaz' fz1 site?

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1shield.htm

Looks like it might be very good for long days by eliminating the wind to the head...comments? (Other than it looks odd...)
fleetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
motomania

Why bother?

Just buy a national cycle windshield and swap out the stock shield. Probably quicker to swap back and forth between the stock shield and the National Cycle shield

2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 master cylinder, SSL lines, custom tail, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds, Seat Concepts seat.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119

2003 FZ1 (RIP 09/23/13)
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
msats

at 6 3 i think it will hit my face...the issue with the fz has always been the tall the screen the closer the turbulance.

its just a handlebar mounted monster behind a stock screen.you cna see it in the pics the metal bars are handlebar mounted.My friend had 1 similar he used for touring on his bandit.
he will hook that monster to the handlebar behind his stock screen on trips

Last edited by msats; 04-06-2012 at 06:25 PM.
msats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
boles

I use it for trips and in the cold and would recommend it, though i would also recommend adding a MRA vario adjustable visor to the top of it. Consider I'm only 5'7 and after i added the visor all wind flow was directed over my helmet resulting in a very quiet ride. I was mostly concerned with wind noise and not buffeting. Buffeting is nonexistent with the demon, just took some tinkering to reduce wind noise. It's ugly but when i'm done retiring miles on the highway i just loosen two allen screws, bungy it on the pillion and go. I leave a cut down stock screen on the front fairing year round otherwise, as i've found it to be the most comfortable for shorter rides. In retrospect, i wonder if the hellcat is the better option as it would be ever so slightly less ugly and i don't imagine the added width of the demon is functional.
boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

This is just 'for thought' and not a solution for you.

The MRA Vario works well on the Gen II. It's not tall enough to get your helmet out of the airstream, but the adjustable part directs enough of the air to help lessen the buffeting at freeway speeds. I've recently figured out that the fact that air is still coming up underneath it is what reduces turbulence, i.e. a single mid-height screen is worse than stock because it has a lot of turbulence at the edge. Having air come up from below lessens that.

Now, I know this is a Gen I thread and I have a Vario on my Gen I as well. It is NOT as effective on that bike. Must be the angles or something, but I need to find something better. For winter riding I'm hoping the National Cycle tall 'shield I picked up here will work. For summer, I'm going to try my OEM Touring shield again. After 9 hrs and a lot of high-speed yesterday, I can't keep the Vario..
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
ReconViper1
Backroad Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by msats View Post
at 6 3 i think it will hit my face...the issue with the fz has always been the tall the screen the closer the turbulance.
That depends upon whether the person submitting the report is just spouting off or whether they know about that which they speak.

At 6' 4", and looking over my Rifle touring screen, the airflow is smooth and regular and only exhibits turbulence when external turbulence is present. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of aerodynamics would be asking what is causing the turbulence and you need something generating a disturbance in the airflow.

On an open road, as most are about here, there is no turbulence; however, following traffic is a different game altogether.

If you give equal credit to each poorly informed respondent, that is up to you. Far too much of what I read is total BS and formed from emotion or misunderstood concepts. I acknowledge everyone's right to be foolish but I do not put much credit in it.

It is up to you to choose which you will accept as valid. Regretfully, many of our esteemed members are formulating entirely new theories and concepts.
ReconViper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
ReconViper1
Backroad Bandit

@@!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msats View Post
That depends upon whether the person submitting the report is just spouting off or whether they know about that which they speak.

At 6' 4", and looking over my Rifle touring screen, the airflow is smooth and regular and only exhibits turbulence when external turbulence is present.

On an open road, as most are about here, there is no turbulence; however, following traffic is a different game altogether.

If you give equal credit to each poorly informed respondent, that is up to you. Far too much of what I read is total BS and formed from emotion or misunderstood concepts. I acknowledge everyone's right to be foolish but I do not put much credit in it.

It is up to you to choose which you will accept as valid.

WOW!!! I just read some of the posts on this thread and they are getting out into the fringes! Where do these ideas come from?
ReconViper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
fleetguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetguy View Post
Is anyone running or had experience with the Demon Shield as discussed in iowaz' fz1 site?

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1shield.htm

Looks like it might be very good for long days by eliminating the wind to the head...comments? (Other than it looks odd...)
Perhaps I should have asked for observations, which would be based on actual experience with the Demon Shield (or HellCat).

I may have to take the plunge myself and try one out. Right now it seems that no one is running the setup...or at least they haven't been to the forum this week.

Has any one ran one of these shields on any type of bike? Thanks for your input folks, and I'll be sure to provide feedback if I do go the Demon Shield route.
fleetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
T_T

that thing is uglier than a bag of a-holes
T_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
msats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconViper1 View Post

At 6' 4", and looking over my Rifle touring screen, the airflow is smooth and regular and only exhibits turbulence when external turbulence is present.

It is up to you to choose which you will accept as valid.

WOW!!! I just read some of the posts on this thread and they are getting out into the fringes! Where do these ideas come from?
My experience is mouting a similar handlebar mouted setup on a tour that hit my face sheild as it could not be installed correctly.atleast with the stock bars being not straight .the clamps had a hard time.

was it great for touring ofcourse once i put straighter bars...

fz1 atleast the first gen stock handlebar will have the same issue. the cheaper alternative will be get a ebay handlebar sheild for any bike and install it behind the stock screen with a straigher handlebar for better grip.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
phaseshifter
phaseshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconViper1 View Post

At 6' 4", and looking over my Rifle touring screen, the airflow is smooth and regular and only exhibits turbulence when external turbulence is present. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of aerodynamics would be asking what is causing the turbulence and you need something generating a disturbance in the airflow.

It is up to you to choose which you will accept as valid. Regretfully, many of our esteemed members are formulating entirely new theories and concepts.
I understand what you're saying here, but what else besides turbulence, and I know what turbulence is, could be causing the excessive noise in the helmet? With the short stock shield, the wind noise is nice and smooth and not as loud. With the National Cycle shield on, the wind noise is louder and more "fluctuating". I liken it to waterskiin on water with ripples, as apposed to smooth water. For instance, when you ski behind the boat in it's wake, you are in for a choppy ride. But when you get ouside the wake in the smooth water, your ride is much smoother and less "noisier". So, without turbulence, what else could be causing the noisy, or bumpy air to flow across the helmet? The air, which is a fluid just as water is, has to have ripples in it to be causing the excess noise.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Octupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_T View Post
that thing is uglier than a bag of a-holes
couldn't have said it better myself!
Mivv Suono, gutted cat, Lars Airbox, Flies Removed, K&N Filter, AIS blocked, PCV, 16T, Graves Velocity Stacks, SpeedoHealer v4, Michilen Pilot Powers (190/55 rear), Fuel line Mod, Rizoma Fender Eliminator, Flushmount front signals, HST XArc rear signals, JRS Shorty levers, Spencers LD Seat Mod, CRG Arrow Bar End Mirrors, CopperDawg Speedscreen, Radiator screen

~Get your Duken4evr PC3 and PCV maps here~
Octupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
OSUFZ1
Go Bucks!

Well, it's all about the ride and not the looks. Unless you are talking about something that ugly. Ugh.

I bet that thing buffets you to death. I bought a tall Rifle screen when I first bought my bike and quickly learned "taller isn't better" in regards to windscreens. The increased noise and buffeting drove me insane. I was better off running the stock shield. I found happiness with the Fabbri screen from PJ. Unfortunatley, screens are difficult to predict and often the only way to learn what works for you is to borrow other FZ1 screens for a ride or to buy and try which always sucks when you buy and end up not liking it but it's often the only way.

I am a believer that for the FZ1, you need to be in the windstream with wind hitting you directly in face shield (above chin but blew crest of the helmet) . At least for me, the provides the least noice & buffeting.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories