register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques

Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
jdmz

I am finding 3-4 4-5 5-6 really easy to do, but 2-3 is a little rough. Any tips on the gen 1?
jdmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #22
GWH608
GWH608

There is really no benifit to doing clutchless shifting. The transmission will shift faster, smoother, and without damage to components when the clutch is used. Like anything practice makes perfect, just work at being smooth in varied conditions and you will be fine.
GWH608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #23
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Trollface is here..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
Blues 48

I use to clutchless shift a 4 speed car I had in my early years. I learned how when I lost my clutch linkage 1 night and had to drive 10 miles to get home. Made most of the traffic lights and the ones I didn't I would put it in netural and turn it off till the light changed and then start it in gear and drive off.

Couldn't do that with todays cars.

05-FZ1 (silver)
83-CB1100F
03-CBR 954RR
Blues 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #25
ReconViper1
Backroad Bandit

I ride pretty conservative. Not much throttle, not a lot of rpm's to the shift point and seldom use the clutch.

Most of the time, it's not a conscious thing. It's just so easy to put a very light preload on the shifter, an easy throttle roll on to 3 or 4 thousand rpm and a minor throttle roll off and it just goes silently into the next gear.

I wouldn't consider it under load or at rpm and I think my autopilot monitors that but under casual conditions I find my self shifting clutchless without a conscious decision or intent.
ReconViper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #26
jdmz

I am transitioning to using all clutch-less upshifts... I find it very easy to do, except 2-3 is still hard to do smoothly for me. It is just so much quicker/easier than clutch. And you can do it on a wide corner with minimal weight shift.
jdmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #27
barryc

I had a 72 VW bug that I drove for about 200 miles with no clutch, cable broke. That took skill...

2006 FZ-1 Red
Ivans mods
I haz dem.
barryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #28
sparky80

i was playing around at the track today and was doing clutchless DOWNshifts.... gotta get that one right though... blipping the throttle and a downshift. pretty fun and just as smooth as clutchless upshifts.

That at the name of Jesus every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Phil. 2:10-11

I don't like texas... missing California!
sparky80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #29
m4ximusprim3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky80 View Post
i was playing around at the track today and was doing clutchless DOWNshifts.... gotta get that one right though... blipping the throttle and a downshift. pretty fun and just as smooth as clutchless upshifts.
I've never had the cajones to do this at speed. I had a buddy whos track bike was converted to straight down shifting and he borrowed someone's bike for a hot lap and forgot- powered down out of a corner and high sided.

I know it isn't the same thing, but that image is forever burned in my brain whenever I think about powering down.
m4ximusprim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ximusprim3 View Post
I had a buddy whos track bike was converted to straight down shifting and he borrowed someone's bike for a hot lap and forgot- powered down out of a corner and high sided.
Are you saying he had a slipper clutch on his own bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ximusprim3 View Post
I've never had the cajones to do this at speed.
Learning going both up and down on a dirt bike makes for an easy transition to street. I probably wouldn't have learned if I had to do it on a street bike (but it's definitely do-able)
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #31
CrazyJoe
Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Are you saying he had a slipper clutch on his own bike?

Learning going both up and down on a dirt bike makes for an easy transition to street. I probably wouldn't have learned if I had to do it on a street bike (but it's definitely do-able)
He's saying they reversed the shift pattern so instead of lifting up for a higher gear --- you push down.
CrazyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #32
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoe View Post
He's saying they reversed the shift pattern so instead of lifting up for a higher gear --- you push down.
Ah ha, thanks Joe.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #33
DPNonafiz
2 wheeled idiot

just believe everything thats said in motorcycle forums .
If it tears up your tranny then the internet will come fix it for you.
DPNonafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #34
packnrat

lets see clutch less shifting.

can do on a bike...No problem.
can do in a rig......No problem.
can do in a jeep (with a 196X something truck trani)...No problem.
can do in granny's old beater..No problem.

give me any stick shifter and it is possible to do this and never drop a gear.
some tranis do not like this, some are ok, and some love it.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #35
Kburggibbs

It's funny. I hadn't ridden a bike for about 3 years until the other day. My little brother's going to Afghanistan with the National Guard and he asked me to take care of his FZ6R for him while he's gone. No problem. Anywho, I got on the bike and started riding. After about 10 miles I realized I had hardly been using the clutch at all (1st to 2nd gear was about it). Old habits never die.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
Kburggibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #36
benc2022
whatsacar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWH608 View Post
There is really no benifit to doing clutchless shifting. The transmission will shift faster, smoother, and without damage to components when the clutch is used. Like anything practice makes perfect, just work at being smooth in varied conditions and you will be fine.
That I definitely disagree with. If you do it right, it's smooth as silk and faster then using the clutch. Smaller power changes to the rear wheel, especially beneficial when in a hard turn (though you shouldn't shift through a hard turn anyway.) plus its a good way to show off to your buddies.
though I do agree its potentially dangerous to your components. Down shifting without the clutch? Bad idea.

Its not fun if it can't kill ya.

Past Bikes:
-1991 Suzuki GS500E
-1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 (with police crate engine)
-1985 Honda V30 Magna
benc2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #37
SaVi

I've been doing clutch less shifting. It is smoother then clutch shifting and on my last oil change there wasn't much on the magnetic drain plug.
SaVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #38
Uncle Alpo
Is that a cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPNonafiz View Post
just believe everything thats said in motorcycle forums .
If it tears up your tranny then the internet will come fix it for you.
smartest thing ever said. true story.
Uncle Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kburggibbs View Post
It's funny. I hadn't ridden a bike for about 3 years until the other day. My little brother's going to Afghanistan with the National Guard and he asked me to take care of his FZ6R for him while he's gone. No problem. Anywho, I got on the bike and started riding. After about 10 miles I realized I had hardly been using the clutch at all (1st to 2nd gear was about it). Old habits never die.
Matt, after you are done riding the bike, can i have the shock off of it? That is of course the bike is a 08 or newer. lol!
How you been? I still think about your dad from time to time. Just like yourself, he was a really neat fellow.
Anyway, all the best to you and yours.
Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
Kburggibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Matt, after you are done riding the bike, can i have the shock off of it? That is of course the bike is a 08 or newer. lol!
How you been? I still think about your dad from time to time. Just like yourself, he was a really neat fellow.
Anyway, all the best to you and yours.
Dean
It's an O9 so I'll see what my brother wants to do when he gets back. Good to hear from you, brother. I hope you're doing well.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
Kburggibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques