register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
Cruzman

What does a double yellow line mean?

Ok so I know it means no passing, but then again it might mean no crossing the double yellow line to pass.

So if it is the latter does it mean I can pass as long as I don't cross the double yellow line? Like passing another bike who yields to the right to let me by? I wouldn't think twice about passing a guy on a bicycle. (even if I crossed the line a bit)

However I remember something about motorcycles are supposed to be given the full lane, and not pushed over to one side.

Must admit this one is has me stumped. I mean I know I am going to pass. Especially if a fellow biker yields to the right and waves me by. But I am curious how the Leo's view this.

Past
1981 Suzuki GS 750-EZ
1985 FJ1100 "Trigger" (Stock)
Present
"Was" 2002 "Now" 2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, fender eliminator, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
(New)DanMoto Rearsets, Scorpion slip-on, Traxon Dynamics AK20s
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Uncle Alpo
Is that a cow?

Double yellow = don't get caught crossing it to pass.
Uncle Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
outlawyer
2009 Bill Buckley Award Winner

Also means no left or u-turn

outlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
PFG
Like that when I found it

I think that varies state to state, the part about motorcycles riding two abreast in one lane. You might find it spelled out, but the moral of the story is usually that if an officer wants to, he can right a a ticket for something. if it's not spelled out that you can, they could right you for "unsafe pass", or something, probably.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Bill A
ˇdn ,uıʞool sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

According to the CA Vehicle code, 21460:

"(a) When double parallel solid lines are in place, no person driving a vehicle shall drive to the left thereof, except as permitted in this section.

(b) When the double parallel lines, one of which is broken, are in place, no person driving a vehicle shall drive to the left thereof, except as follows:
(1) That the driver on that side of the roadway in which the broken line is in place may cross over the double line or drive to the left thereof when overtaking or passing other vehicles.
(2) As provided in Section 21460.5.

(c) Either of the markings as specified in subdivision (a) or (b) does not prohibit a driver from crossing the marking when (1) turning to the left at any intersection or into or out of a driveway or private road, or (2) making a U-turn under the rules governing that turn, and either of the markings shall be disregarded when authorized signs have been erected designating offcenter traffic lanes as permitted under Section 21657.

(d) Raised pavement markers may be used to simulate painted lines described in this section when the markers are placed in accordance with standards established by the Department of Transportation."

In CA you can cross double yellow lines to turn left or to make a U-Turn, but for nothing else (you can't pass, for example).

In CA you cannot cross double double yellow lines for any reason.

In CA it is NOT a specific violation to pass another vehicle in your lane (but be sure you do so safely).

Last edited by Bill A; 05-21-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
PFG
Like that when I found it

And in Ca, you clearly can pass inside one lane, because lane sharing is not illegal.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Lane sharing is illegal in GA, therefore passing - even without crossing the solid yellow - would be an offense. That said, out on isolated roads, nobody is going to care..
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
Octupi

Can't get a ticket for what they don't see.
Mivv Suono, gutted cat, Lars Airbox, Flies Removed, K&N Filter, AIS blocked, PCV, 16T, Graves Velocity Stacks, SpeedoHealer v4, Michilen Pilot Powers (190/55 rear), Fuel line Mod, Rizoma Fender Eliminator, Flushmount front signals, HST XArc rear signals, JRS Shorty levers, Spencers LD Seat Mod, CRG Arrow Bar End Mirrors, CopperDawg Speedscreen, Radiator screen

~Get your Duken4evr PC3 and PCV maps here~
Octupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Deacon51
The guy on the tee shirt!

I think most states let bikes share a lane
"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down." -- Robert M. Pirsig, author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

Google+
Join the AMA
Deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
flbusa
Pot Stirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Lane sharing is illegal in GA, therefore passing - even without crossing the solid yellow - would be an offense. That said, out on isolated roads, nobody is going to care..
..a
+1
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
viffer05

The TN Highway Patrol has ticketed on the Dragon for passing in the same lane, even when waved by...
Old 05-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
FZ#1
Callahan Auto Parts Dist.

And when they think they saw you pass on doubles it's $350.00 in Ga. Plus a probation period of a few years, that if your caught again in that time it's almost $500.
FZ#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Cruzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
..a
Yep I am not to worried when I am out in the boonies, unless there is a Leo riding behind me.[/i]

Quote:
Originally Posted by viffer05 View Post
The TN Highway Patrol has ticketed on the Dragon for passing in the same lane, even when waved by...
This is the exact reason I asked the question. I had some buddies up there this past weekend and they got a warning for passing a slower bike (and I couldn't believe it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ#1 View Post
And when they think they saw you pass on doubles it's $350.00 in Ga. Plus a probation period of a few years, that if your caught again in that time it's almost $500.
Oh $hit. Add to that the super speeder $200.00 and the speeding fine $$$ and I am going to make some cops quota.

Past
1981 Suzuki GS 750-EZ
1985 FJ1100 "Trigger" (Stock)
Present
"Was" 2002 "Now" 2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, fender eliminator, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
(New)DanMoto Rearsets, Scorpion slip-on, Traxon Dynamics AK20s
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
max power
Registered Boozer

My riding buddy got pulled over and ticketed for passing a slow moving vehicle (little old lady in a 70's car) who was taking a looooong time to execute a right turn. He couldnt believe it, but I knew he was going to get pulled over before he even passed her.
& a Big Ass Burb
max power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Double yellow means that rear tire will break loose twice as you are passing.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
pokihokie
Lord High Poo-Bah

In GA, passing over the double yellow is permitted - if you are passing a vehicle displaying a slow moving vehicle sign (two-tone orange triangle) or if the car is impeeding traffic. As I understand it, impeeding traffic means traveling more than twenty miles an hour under the limit.

A friend is an attorney that went to UGA law and got a ticket for passing a slow moving vehicle over the double yellow while in law school. This is what he relayed to me about the situation. That said, this might have been 20 years ago, so it would be prudent to check the law now.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a well, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
pokihokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #17
outlawyer
2009 Bill Buckley Award Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
hahahaha

outlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
MARK BYRD
crash dummy

What double yellow lines???
Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #19
SteelRain
Commander of Asphalt Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
Public eduaction?...oh Texas... nevermind.

The correct answer would be four times.

Than again, I ride bikes with way more torque and HP than an Fz1 in the rain and never have that problem and my fists are made from ham.
Matthew 5:30
The views, ideas, and commentary expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of the author.
SteelRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #20
-Dash-
Internet Thug

Double yellow lines?

Must mean your cocaine is from asia....
-Dash- is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion