register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
dirt2road
dirt2road

As much fun as it is punking on heavy, poor handling,expensive slow motorcycles---all motorcycles are cool--it's all a matter of relativity
dirt2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #22
'Dumbdog

It's like comparing "Down Hill" to "Cross Country" skiing...

they are both equally cool. right?
'Dumbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
bicklebok

There's a guy in my neighborhood that owns an HD that seems to be souped up pretty good and makes a lot of racket! He loves to show off on it making noise with quick acceleration starts and nailing it AFTER making a turn. By coincidence I turned in behind him one day and as usual, he gassed on it. I must admit his bike was pretty peppy, as i had to get on my hurricane a little to keep up. I resisted the temptation to zoom by him and just kept up behind him. My hurricane is much slower than the fizzy, but i could have taken him with no problem.

About a week later I was at a stop sign about to turn right(on the Fizzy this time), and he was coming out of a parking lot about 70 yards towards my way. (He would have the right of way if he were coming down the road.) Once I saw him, and knowing how he takes off, I knew he would gas on it and make me have to wait at the stop sign until he passed. Anyway, as soon as I saw him coming roaring out of the parking lot, i turned right and nailed the fizzy, front end coming up and all! By the time he got to the intersection I started from, I was long gone! He thought for sure when he nailed it out of the parking lot onto the road, he would force to wait until he passed by. Im sure that deflated his bubble quite a bit!

I have another funny story about this guy and his HD I will share later. Of course, he's broke down on the side of the road this time!

Identical twin brother of the late forum member Sammax
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #24
outlawyer
2009 Bill Buckley Award Winner

Looking forward to it bicklebok. Are you riding in this cold weather? I'm in Monkeytown too.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #25
Slash1
like ridin' on air

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
This will be a thread highlighting a small portion of the bullshit I hear at work. I will try to update it every now and then, but I'll never be able to truly lay it all out

Today:

Guy tells me about his 05 CVO Ultra Classic with motor work. He proceeds to tell me how it will pull the wheel in 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd. Impressive I say.

Last Week:

Customer tells me (a nurse actually) how wearing a helmet is worthless. Adds extra weight to your head, thus hurting your neck in a crash. In addition, what good is your head when your body is annihilated from a crash, because naturally you would only be wearing a T-shirt right? Yeaaaaa......

Customer tells me about his Road King with motor work. More impressive is the fact that it will beat Busa's from a dig.

....there's so much more but it's late and I can't remember it. More to come as time passes.
Hmmm... a customer lying to a salesman. That's different...

Seriously, I went riding with Paveslave after he bought his Hayabusa on a group ride (my last ever) with the AmVets, and this HD owner proceeds to tell Pave his new Busa was a total piece of junk, and would be worthless in 2 years. He continued with the classic, "I bought me a Harley, 'cause it's a 'vestment." We looked at each other, amazed at how much stupidity could be crammed into one human being. I'm actually surprised Pave didn't pop the little pipsqueak.
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #26
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

For every "Harley" tale, there is a metric tale. Why the obsession?

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
t84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #27
FLFZ1
Cajun by birth Save by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
Cause this is a "Metric Site" and we can.
Two Brothers Carbon Fiber slip-on/Gutted Cat/ Lars Airbox mod/ descreened air filter/CD Flies/16t sprocket/ T-Rex frame sliders/ fender eliminator/ intergrated taillight/ Watsen Design flush mount turn signals/ pod light mod/
FLFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #28
'Dumbdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
Cause it's funny....
think about it....
every panhead, knucklehead, shovelhead comes complete with it's own shithead!
'Dumbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #29
outlawyer
2009 Bill Buckley Award Winner

I'd like to have a Sportster, especially the XR1200; but I wouldn't delude myself that it would beat a CBR600, much less a Busa. Some Harley riders just make themselves easy targets with their tall tales, as JD will keep demonstrating, I hope.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #30
cohl

Jondadday,

You need to write down your experiences. In time, you will have enough material for a great book.
cohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #31
Blind Spot
Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawyer View Post
I'd like to have a Sportster, especially the XR1200
Are you bike-curious?
Blind Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #32
okaugust
..she's stark ravin' mad!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #33
LiquidRed
Ozark Mountain Speed Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Spot View Post
Are you bike-curious?
I am! I'll take a Lo-Rider with audible (not obnoxious) exhaust note... just so I'll really stick out in my Aerostich or Joe Rocket leathers. And heck, I'll learn to take shorter rides. I don't mind a little leaking, just as long as it gets me home.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #34
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

OK, so I'm not so big on the HD bashing threads, but I'm looking forward to hearing JD's stories about the customers.

Though I did hear a good one not all that long ago:

What's the difference between a Harley and a vacuum cleaner?
The location of the dirt bag!

-T
Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #35
95gtdriver
KCCO

It's not a harley bashing thread. It's an idiot bashing thread, where the idiots happen to buy harley's, major difference.
95gtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #36
5lv

It's not just the Hardley guys.

When the Gold Wing first came out I was at a bike shop in St. Paul when the salesman looked right at a customer and said it will lay rubber at 80 mph. Right after that he revved it so high it was walking across his floor on the center stand.

5lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #37
JonDaddy82
Professional Slimeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gtdriver View Post
It's not a harley bashing thread. It's an idiot bashing thread, where the idiots happen to buy harley's, major difference.
Exactly.

10.1 at 137

2007 FZ1 | 2015 FJ-09 | 2015 FLTRXS | 2014 WR250R | 2015 FX SVHO | 2017 Teryx4 LE |
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #38
tslaw
Aged N00B

My brother-in-law bought a new Road King for our trip to the Grand Canyon last year. He loves it as much as his Seca 750 that he bought new in the 80's. I waited the whole trip for him to admit that while the Harley was a great bike it was not in the same class as the Seca - never got a comparison from him at all.

He loves all bikes and did seem quite comfy on our trip. No mechanical issues on our trip either.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #39
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gtdriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Exactly.
Thanks for pointing that out to me, there, ya friggin' geniuses...

(note the joke I posted...)

-T
Old 02-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #40
Duken4evr
Map Maven

I hope they never figure out that a double agent is working in their ranks down at the local HD dealership

I do think that the average owner who thinks his Harley is "fast" would absolutely pee in his pants if he dared ride bitch on the back of my FZ1 during a spirited canyon ride or better yet, a track day To be fair, I about peed in my leathers while riding on the back of Jason Pridmore's GSXR750 during a CLASS school. Paid the 20 bucks, experienced 2 laps around the streets of Willow at his tire sliding playing around speed that was far faster than I could ever go alone. I suspect their perceptions of speed if exposed to a competent sport rider's pace would be similar. Pretty sad actually, as I ride in slow motion of course, compared to Jason Pridmore In other words, these HD guys simply have no clue what speed, power and sharp handling/braking really feels like in a motorcycle context.

Another mind blowing moment for me came while driving a friend's late model modified Corvette. That thing is no fooling around and serious as a heart attack. I tended to underestimate cars, even high end ones, prior to that experience. Not so much after driving that meat eating tire shredding spin em at any time (once the traction control nanny was turned off) beast. I think an FZ1 would run it to 100 to 110 mph or so, but after that, it is lights out. The Corvette just hits it's stride at 100 mph and keeps going and going. Holy crap. It is like a Hayabusa on 4 wheels

These HD guys who brag about how fast their bikes need to seriously get real.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion