register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues

Old 06-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
denbsteph

Sticky ignition tumblers

I have a 06 FZ1, garage kept except for the occasional rain shower while camping, at work or just riding. When I put the key In, I attempt to turn it, from the lock and non-locked position, it is a bee-otch to turn, It's stuck. I attempt to wiggle or lightly force and it wont go. I wiggle it, but no movement, try again then it turns, This has been happening for the past week or so.

A: Is it time for a new ignition?
B: what if any product can I put in the switch to ease the issue.
C: I was told to NEVER put any type of liquid,spray in the ignition.
D: I have heard of pencil lead? not willing to try that.
E: Any lock smith's on the site? That would be a beautiful thing.

Thanks
denbsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Keytickler
Causative Factor

WD-40? I've sprayed it into my ignition before and worked the key in and out a few times.

Jiggle the fork side to side, too. It may be pushing against the lock making it difficult to turn the key.

Keytickler
Old 06-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Uncle Alpo
Is that a cow?

WD-40 won't hurt the ignition and can break the tumblers free. Don't force the key, or you could have real problems. Just spray down in there and work the key gently to free things up.
Uncle Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
denbsteph

Went to Auto Zone and bought some graphite, what a mistake that was. Jammed the tumblers. Had to get some WD-40 to free it up. Had to wait for 45 minutes before it worked itself free. Just sprayed a little bit more in there a few moments ago. I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm wondering if the Ignition switch is going to sh#$?.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
WDD

I'd drench it with WD 40 to get as much of the graphite out as possible. Graphite conducts electricity - you don't want that stuff starting to short stuff out.

Just put in lots of WD 40, put the key in, pull it out, then work it back and forth, side to side, until it opens up.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

YEP soak the crap out of it with WD-40, wont hurt a thing. I do this a couple times a year and after every ride that was in the rain.

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
denbsteph

Let me clarify something, I used WD-40 at Auto Zone, dude let me use some. I got home and used Du-Pont Mult use Teflon Lubricant, Dry wax stuff that I bought for the Chain,(Dont use it anymore, use Bel-Ray chain wax) Just went out to check the switch, turned with out issue. So I sprayed a little more in it just to be sure. It worked, hopefully it will keep working. Sorry for the confusion and bogus information.

Note: When I pulled the key out, it was black as night. I must have really went ape shit with that graphite and did not realize it, Freaking Auto Zone douche bag!!. Should of know better that to trust them. No disrespect to any Auto Zone employee's who may be part of the site. Later

How long could a ignition switch last? Or should, would?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
Scratch
Lord High Everything Else

My ignition needed a spritzing just yesterday as well, after having ridden through a lot of rain down in GA/NC/TN a few weeks ago. My spritz of choice is the Dupont Teflon lube.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:05 AM   #9
Angus

Switch

I know everone likes WD 40 but. Tuner Cleaner with lube from Radio shack works great and don't collect dust like WD 40.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
denbsteph

Just went to check the ignition, works like new! Thanks to all with the suggestions!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbsteph View Post
How long could a ignition switch last? Or should, would?
It will last longer than your bike will. No need to think about replacing it.

Glad you got it fixed!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
jethro
Racoon-slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbsteph View Post
Went to Auto Zone and bought some graphite, what a mistake that was.
oh I wish you asked about the graphite before... I would have warned you. I learned that the hard way myself.
2003 Polaris 700XCSP
1995 Polaris 600XLT

"Peace, by superior fire power..."

My bikes: http://www.geoffreysworld.com/The%20Bikes.htm
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
denbsteph

I'm glad dude at auto Zone let me use some WD, that could of got real ugly. Took the fizzer for a ride today, no issue's with the tumblers jamming, turned like new, again thanks for all the response's.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Dean Dinnetz

Another tip for you. Don't run a bunch of keys on a key ring, with your ign. key. The FZ1 ign. switch does NOT like weight on it, with other keys. "rwl" knows all about that gig.
Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
advrider52

That graphite crap has been around for years. I have never seen a lock that didn't get worse after using it. There must be NO repeat buyers of that junk.
advrider52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
captkirk9195

Glad this re-affirmed why I have a separate keyring that I detach from my main one (with bike and house key only on it) when I want to go ride.

I just "felt" that a motorcycle ignition wouldn't handle a moderate keyring load.

That and I didn't want to hear the darned rattle that I'm sure would have happened as well.

I've had good luck with WD 40 and with any of the teflon based lubricants for locks in the past. Have to hit the master locks on my racecar trailer with them a couple of times a year and work them with the key, to keep them nimble.

Takes them from horribly sticky and unable to close without the key, to just like new.

HTH
Jason
captkirk9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
denbsteph

As a matter of fact I have the fizzer key on my main key ring! I have often thought about the weight of the keys, but that was about it. The rattling keys? Never noticed it, not a big factor to me. Weight of the keys adding stress to the costly OEM part? That is a issue. I'm the individual who will lose the key if it is by itself. I will have to train the brain to remind itself of the new key situation.

How many of us are still using the same key that was originally put in the bike?

Do you rotate the keys?

Have you ever thought about it until a issue like sticky tumblers occur?

HHHMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A: I'm still using the original key
B: I don't rotate the keys, I'll switch them when I look at the key and say" This key is toast, time to switch"
C: I thought about it now, using the new key. Old one is toast, but will keep it for a spare in case I misplace it. Especially when I head to Nebraska in August.

Any Nebraskans in the Forum?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
JonDaddy82
Professional Slimeball

Keep all other keys OFF the bike key ring. Use a clip or carabiner to connect them later. Put a soft/rubber keychain on the bike key of course to make sure you don't lose it. So many bikes would come in with blasted triple clamps because people would have a set of janitor keys hanging out of the tumbler. Caused nothing but problems and looks stupid to boot.

And don't forget the WD-40 every now and then of course ;)

| Hyperpro steering damper | Pazzo levers | Galfer HH pads | Graves frame sliders | Shogun F/R sliders | | CA taillight | Motrax LED flushmounts | Custom FE | CD Speedscreen | AIS removed | Holeshot high mount | BMC filter | PCIII | Airbox mod | Flies | Factory Pro stacks | DynoJet QS | Braking rotors | Spiegler SS lines | Driven 520 16/46 | Graves EXUP plug |

10.1 at 137
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues