register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 11-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #21
grande91

lietuvis1, thank you for that, a job well done.....

Leon.
grande91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #22
samotlietuvis
06 Yellow R1; 02 Red FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealbikerItalia
Hello to all!

this is my first message in this forum! I'm Carlo from Italian forum of Fazer. Sorry for my bad english :-)
Congraturations for your job lietuvis1! I'm trying to do the same whin a R1 03 forks.
I see that gap between Fazer and R1 forks is 60mm (2,32 inches) but the offset of R1 yokes is less that 13mm (0,5inch) that Fazer. This mean that the bike doesn't coming down so much, infact the bike coming down about 2 degrees, also the angle of steering become 24° from 26°. I hope to understand me :-) I draw the two conditions and compare them.
Ciao
RealbikerItalia, I understand what you are saying very well, and if you are correct, then it is good news. Less rake angle means that the bike stands higher with R1 forks. 03 R1 forks are .5" longer than 04-06 R1 forks, but 04-06 R1 brakes are much better. If you use R1 upper tree, you gain another .5 inch...

Tomas

02 FZ1 Custom Red aka fast couch (selling)
03 ZX6R Blue retired track machine (sold)
06 ZX6R silver current track machine (sold)
08 Corvette Z51 M6 VY (will be listed for sale shortly)
samotlietuvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #23
RealbikerItalia
from FazerItalia

Thank you lietuvis! :-)

I know that latest R1 has a good brakes but I have this one actually... for the future I will think to upgrade the brakes but with this forks or it's possible to changhe the bottom feet of forks with a new set with radial fit.
I use R1 tree for fit forks and next week I will start to realized a new stem.
Do you see my naked version? visit my site in Fazer 1000 section... there's the gallery...
Ciao!
RealbikerItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #24
BAE 557
Yamaha Lifer

Will an R1 back wheel mod be next?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #25
lkurek

Nice job on the conversion! I'm in the midst of doing one myself

Anyhow....couple of things:

1) the 2002-2003 forks are the same length, from the axle center to the top of the outer tube.....73cm

2) The stock FZ1 forks are 77cm for the same distance, so yes....about 1 1/2" shorter. As mentioned though, the decrease in rake negates about 3/4" of this, and the drop in the upper triple (stem mount face to bottom of fork rings) is about 1/2", so you are only dropping the front of the bike about 1/4" or basically insignificant. Drop the preload in the back a click or two, or use the lowering bones and you are even again.

Question.....when you drilled the R1 upper for the risers, are you comfortable that there is only about 1/4" of cast aluminum that your handlebars mount to? Seems kind of weak to me.....no?

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a full front end, sans master/clip ons, from a 2003 R1 available. I'd rather sell it here than e-bay.....PM me privately on this
lkurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #26
Falcon 269
Just passing through

How much difference does fitting the R1 triples make to the lock/turning radius?

It looks as though it reduces it quite a lot and I presume that the lock stops need to be altered as part of this mod, too.

Please keep the info and pictures coming - I'm starting to get ideas about doing mine.

Mike
Falcon 269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #27
samotlietuvis
06 Yellow R1; 02 Red FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegtx2002
How much difference does fitting the R1 triples make to the lock/turning radius?

It looks as though it reduces it quite a lot and I presume that the lock stops need to be altered as part of this mod, too.

Please keep the info and pictures coming - I'm starting to get ideas about doing mine.

Mike
Mike,

Lock stops don't need to be altered, but the turning radius decreases by ~20%. I will grind the lower tree stops in the future to increase the turning radius, but it is not on my priority list.

I will post some pictures later with the front fender.

Happy Holidays
Tomas

Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #28
dabige

Hey guys, Great article. I bought a 2005 FZ1 that has been smashed and I sourced a 2005 R1 front end, and wheel. Just wondering how this swap went for you guys long term? anything you would do different? Anything to look out for that have not been mentioned here. thanks! Anyone put a 2006-2008 Naked FZ1 headlight on this conversion... I figured since the forks are R1's the diameter is the same as the ones on the new FZ1 and some headlight stuff should fit on there... Any opinions on that?
dabige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #29
dabige

Also what about a speedo? Since you are using an R1 front wheel setup... Have you found a way to adapt the origianl speedo?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #30
Number9
Tear it up & Tour it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabige
............ Anyone put a 2006-2008 Naked FZ1 headlight on this conversion... I figured since the forks are R1's the diameter is the same as the ones on the new FZ1 and some headlight stuff should fit on there... Any opinions on that?
Personally, I don't think the new aggressively styled naked Gen2 headlight would flow with the lines of the more rounded styled Gen1, but then again, it might look pretty good - won't know until you try it and see. I'm sure it'd prob work, or could be make to work, but just wonder how it'd look on the bike.

Quote:
Also what about a speedo? Since you are using an R1 front wheel setup... Have you found a way to adapt the origianl speedo?
The speedo doesn't go off the front wheel, so this won't be an issue. That is one of the great things about doing a conversion like this on these bikes, or most modern bikes actually, don't go off the front wheel anymore. Unfortunately, my ST1100 does go off the front wheel....... or I would already have a complete different fork/brake/wheel setup on it - I have pondered over doing that for several years but that dang speedo drive keeps killing me.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #31
dabige

Good news about the speedo... cool. Thanks for the reply.. I think the new light would look cool or I could go with a round light from the SV 650, but that's been done.... so wanted to try something new.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #32
Menta1youth
R 1abie!

Hi all, sorry to drag this up but I have my bike stripped down as we speak, any chance anyone can provide more info on what is neccessary for the r1 top clamp to accept the fazer stem?

i am a little stuck now tryin to find spacers/washers/bushes? to make it worK + LOOK GOOD!

The stem top nut appears that it will either stick up to high above the top yoke if i use a spacer on top of the yoke (as well as something to hold the smaller diameter fz stem central to the larger diameter R1 top yoke), or leave the ugle lock nuts on show if i fit a spacer under the top yoke (mind that is more easily solved by covering somehow)

anyway hope this makes sense its late and spent 15 hours stripping and cleaning today !!!!
Since rebuilt: R1 fork conversion, "Double R" carb setup, Ported intake boots, Airbox mod, BMC filter, Ixil high level twin Exhaust, 15/45 Sprockets, R1 gear linkage, Renthal 758 Ultralow, Zero gravity screen, Fuzzy One's mirror mod, Undertray, Redfox hugger, SS Lines fasteners & nipples, Oxford "Hotgrips" Sorry!

Planned: Shock Upgrade, Repaint, Polish rims
Menta1youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #33
dabige

R1 fork swap notes.

Hey Menta1youth,
I just recently did mine. everything you need is pretty much covered in this thread thanks to the pioneers who did it first. I put 2005 R1 Raven front end (forks are black not gold) on my 2005 FZ1.

Parts from 2005 FZ1 re-used (someone correct me if I forgot something):
-Handlebars and risers (although you could change these out for some trick after market ones)
-clutch lever and clutch switch
-stem
-ignition/switch
-all bearings and races and rubber seals are from FZ1
-brake lines (R1 brake lines will be too short)... or just put on some aftermarket ones made for an FZ-1

Parts from 2004-06 R1:
-top triple (will need to be drilled, I just had the existing holes from the where the screws that were holding the clip-ons were… made larger to accept the stock FZ-1 risers.) Also, the top triple’s stem hole is made to accept an R1 stem of course, but the R1 stem is larger in diameter than the FZ-1 stem, so you need to get a spacer (looks like a cylinder with a rim on it…like a tophat with the top missing..if you know what I mean)…just make sure the rim of this spacer is not too thick…. See my “Issues to look out for below”
-bottom triple, the FZ-1 stem is supposed to just press into the R1 lower triple, but my machinist said it was too loose by a couple of thousands, so he knurled it… I think is the right term…to make it more snug.
-forks
-wheel/rotors/calipers/front fender..i.e. complete front end
-I used the R1 brembo master cylinder and brake lever (although you could use the FZ-1 unit)

Issues to look out for:
1) Depending on the thickness of the spacer you have made for the top triple, the alignment of the steering lock pin may be too high compared to the hole that is on the frame… make sure your spacer is no too thick or the pin will be too high.
2) Make sure the stem is pressed in far enough into the bottom triple…otherwise.. you will put everything back together, and find that the top triple does not clamp down enough, even if you tighten the nut down all the way… i.e. you run out of threads… SO measure the lenth of the stem from the base of the FZ-1 lower triple to the top… BEFORE you have it pressed out, and then when you press it in the R1 lower, make it the same height. I hope that makes sense.
3) The lock stops on the bottom R1 triple are at a narrower angle than the FZ-1 units, you can grind those of a little, but make sure it’s not too much or your handle bar ends will hit the tank.
4) You will need to reposition the voltage regulator somewhere so it does not touch the forks at full lock. I just modified my bracket to hld the regulator close to the frame… Some folks have put it under the tank.
5) You will need to figure out what to do with the brake reservoir if you use the one from an R1. I made a bracket.
6) I wanted radial brakes so I choose a 2004-2006 R1 front end, I think you can use 2002-2003 front end as well, and I think the forks are a little longer as well, which might be good. Also, I think the stock FZ-1 brake calipers bolt on to those forks, but I am not sure…you would need to check on that.

Observation after having done the mods:
- I haven't yet adjusted my suspension fully, but the geometry is a little aggressive, my rear shock is still stock however. Does anyone have tips on setting up the bike once the conversion is done?

Here is a pic of mine…. It’s not painted yet… so it’s part black, grey, and blue… but I am getting there. I went for the triumph speed triple look.
Hope this helps... feel free to contact me for specific pics or issues…and hopefully I can help.

Elie
http://www.themotorcycleorphanage.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Franken-small.jpg (98.7 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg Franken-small-2.jpg (80.5 KB, 490 views)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #34
Menta1youth
R 1abie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menta1youth View Post
The stem top nut appears that it will either stick up to high above the top yoke if i use a spacer on top of the yoke (as well as something to hold the smaller diameter fz stem central to the larger diameter R1 top yoke),
So the "top hat" shape would effectively be these two probs solved?

I am right in thinking the bottom yoke is turned over from its position on the bike to make a "T" shape and the stem pressed downward out of the yoke and the lower bearing race remains in situ throughout the operation?

thanks again, Col
Since rebuilt: R1 fork conversion, "Double R" carb setup, Ported intake boots, Airbox mod, BMC filter, Ixil high level twin Exhaust, 15/45 Sprockets, R1 gear linkage, Renthal 758 Ultralow, Zero gravity screen, Fuzzy One's mirror mod, Undertray, Redfox hugger, SS Lines fasteners & nipples, Oxford "Hotgrips" Sorry!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #35
dabige

The "top hat" is inserted on the bottom of the R1 tope triple... so that you don't see the rim of the "top hat" and it won't raise the stem top nut. You just fasten that with the normal washers.

For the bottom yolk, you could leave the race there, but I would take it out so that you don't damage it when it's being pressed out. Just make sure to measure the length of the stem like I mentioned in my reply to you.

Cheers... send some pics!!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #36
SinneR

Hmmm for some reason i see the price for r1 forks going up on e-bay
Old 04-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #37
Menta1youth
R 1abie!

1) i have just trashed the R1 stem (wtf is that circlip doing their!!) i am worried now about pressing the FZ1 stem is their a similar circlip??

2) mates hopefully gonna mill me a collar today for the top, he mentioned pressing it into the yoke too. so i can powdercoat as one peice. just measuring up to get the steering lock right etc

For reference this is the "top hat" image in my head "_||_" . . . sort of lol

does the upper ("||") section of your top hat sit flush with the top side of the yoke? surely the whole purpose of this top section is to keep the yoke centre over the stem? so it must at least come half way through (hence me wanting it press in) and the lower rim section ("_ _") is responcible for raising the whole unit up enough (whilst maintaining steering lock)

sorry to be a drain but any dimensions for the peice you made would be cool, or alternative options maybe using separate bush/sleeve and fat washers ????

cheers again, Col

Last edited by Menta1youth; 04-09-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: failing to read!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #38
trenchtractor
HABLA INGLESE POR FAVORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinneR View Post
Hmmm for some reason i see the price for r1 forks going up on e-bay
When I bought the '04 R1 front end for my '06 FZ1, I sold the FZ1 parts for less than I paid for the R1 stuff... 12 months later, R1 gear was priced up to 3 times what I had paid...

Who is Trenchtractor? Watch my YouTube. See my BikePics.

trenchtractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #39
Menta1youth
R 1abie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samotlietuvis View Post
Yes, I am a bit concerned about it as well. I have an adapter design available if needed.
The pics of Samo's bike seem to show an addition larger nut under the OE one is this the "adapter design" referred to

Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #40
samotlietuvis
06 Yellow R1; 02 Red FZ1

My adapter is currently being made . Will see how it turns out.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering