Thread: Lowering a FZ1
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenRider View Post
I shouldn't bother with this ...
Glad you did, Glenn, as you raised some important additional points.

I'd overlooked the effects of longer dogbones on the linkage ratio and spring rate. Good catch.

You're right about the fender being lower than the dust seals on top of the fork sliders, so the latter will hit the triples first. Whether the lower part of the fender would hit the rad before the forks bottom out, I don't propose to find out.

An easy way of seeing how much suspension movement you're actually using is to put a zip tie around the fork tube, snug it down against the fork slider dust seal then go ride. Do some hard braking to really compress the forks and then come home and check where that zip tie is relative to the triple tree.

DO NOT TEST THIS WITH YOUR FORKS AT THEIR CURRENT SETTING. Bad things will happen!

My forks are through the yokes by 10mm. The zip tie shows me I have about 12mm of clearance between the fork slider and the triple tree. That tells me two things; first, I'm making good use of the total available fork travel. Second, I have enough in reserve - just - to cope with extreme compression but that's all.

That's why we say 10mm max through the triples!

Last edited by Falcon 269; 02-20-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Falcon 269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04755 seconds with 9 queries