Thread: Winter
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #28
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
I don't have a problem with Fahrenheit so much but what is really confusing is distance and volume. In woodworking I often need to find the center point and add on each side of that. If a piece of wood is 17 15/16" the and then I have to add 3/8" on each side of that it is cumbersome and prone to errors. Even the measuring tape is tricky. Is that line a 1/16 line or a 1/32? I use metric whenever I can but our North American tools are all based on neanderthal measure. My table saw has a 10" blade with a 1/8 kerf, my router bits are 1/2" shank and the cutting ends are a'' in 8th's, chisels are all in inches too. I work around all of this and I would guess that it is evenly split. With volume however pints, quarts, gallons are maddening especially considering that we used to use the English gallons etc. I suspect that there is more confusion and errors caused by volume calculations than any other. But yeah I am fine with temperature. 70 is warm 90 is hot 32 is the freezing point. In metric 20 is warm 30 is hot and water freezes at 0.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Lufkin-25-ft-...hoCocEQAvD_BwE

Best imperial tape measure ever for wood working. The red numbers are half the black numbers, makes finding the center point a 2 second job.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05023 seconds with 9 queries